You Didn't Ruin Anything

Start from the beginning

"Goodnight, mommy". He mumbled sleepily.

"Goodnight, son". I whispered, kissing his head.

After an hour, I was sure he was deep in sleep so I slipped out of the bed and made my way to the living-room with my cell phone in my hand. I slumped down on the couch and stared at my phone.

I thought of calling my parents and talk to them about the situation but then they would either come here or force me to tell Bryan the whole truth.

So I dialed Sebastian's number. He picked up my call at the first ring like he usually does.

"Are you checking up one me?" Sebastian asked me.

But I stayed silent. I didn't know where to start and what to say.

"Madeline, is everything alright?". He asked me sounding worried.

"Yeah, I'm sorry for disturbing you this late," I said looking at the wall clock which clearly showed its midnight.

"You and sorry doesn't go along, dear". He snorted making me roll my eyes.

He was silent for few minutes then he asked, "What's wrong?".

"Bryan knows the truth. He knows I am his mom". I told him making him suck in a sharp breath.

"How did he find out?". Sebastian asked.

"He heard mom and dad talking" I replied.

"Did he know anything about the past?" He asked.

"No. He just heard enough to know that I am his mom". I said.

"That's good but it won't be long that he'll start asking questions and you wouldn't be able to avoid them. He's a smart kid, Madeline" Sebastian said.

"I know, Sebastian. I don't plan to hide anything from him anymore. As you said earlier he is a smart kid he will understand" I said hoping that I would be right on this assumption.

"Go get some sleep and stop thinking about everything. I'm sure you are capable of handling this situation" He said instantly making me feel better.

"Thank you, Sebastian. You always make me feel better". I said getting up from the couch.

"Yeah. I know how talented I when it comes to making you feel better" He said in a teasingly.

"Shut up and goodnight". I said.

"There's nothing good about tonight. I am lying on the bed bore out of my mind". He complained.

"Watch the movie, that's what normal people do when they get bored," I said.

"Okay, find" He mumbled and ended the call.

Sighing, I went back to my room and slipped inside the bed again.

I feel contented and didn't find the need to take sleeping pills tonight to fall asleep.

*****

I felt the movement besides me but ignored it. I was deep in sleep. Then later, I felt something wet a brush like poking on my face. I groaned and opened my eyes.

The bright sunlight coming through the window blinded me for a moment. I blinked my eyes and turned my left to see my son sitting on the bed with the painting tray on his lap and paintbrush on his hand.

"Bryan, what were you doing?". I asked him.

"Good morning, mommy. I was painting" He said and gave me the toothy smile. I caught the mischievous glint in his eyes and knew he had done something naughty.