This Kiss

"Jesus Christ, I'm hungry! When are the boys going to be back so we can eat?" I said to Aimee, who was sitting next to me on her laptop watching something on YouTube.

"Don't know. Con's coming over as well, with Millie, I think." She sounded vaguely bored of whatever was on the screen.

"Honey, I'm home!" I heard the front door open and Tris' familiar voice floated up the stairs. I jumped up and ran down the stairs, only to see the top of Brad's curls reach Tris and James before I did. He jumped on Tris and I laughed at the startled expression on his face. James went through to the kitchen and dumped the huge Christmas turkey they had gone to collect on the worktop, then pushed past me on the stairs to go and see Aimee.

"In a bit, guys." Brad said to both Tris and me, then walked off God knows where. Tris put his arms around my waist and I wrapped mine around his neck.

"It's the way you love me, it's a feeling like this, it's centrifugal motion, it's perpetual bliss..." He sung quietly in my ear, and I vaguely recognised the tune.

"What is that song? I know it, I think." I asked him gently.

"This Kiss. Alex Day, you know, Nerimon, did a cover of it with Carrie Hope Fletcher. It's really beautiful - but not as beautiful as you." I felt my cheeks heat up as he spoke and smiled shyly at him. His eyes locked with mine and I couldn't tear myself away from him until there was a loud knock on the door.

"You going to get that?" Brad shouted from wherever he was in the house. I opened the door and saw Connor standing there with his arm around the shoulders of a girl, maybe around 5"3 with blondish hair. I guessed it was Millie, the girl Aimee had mentioned before.

"Hi, Dais, Tris, this is Millie. Millie, this is Daisy and Tristan." Con seemed more nervous than I had ever seen him. I heard running on the stairs behind me and Aimee suddenly put her arms around Millie.

"Aims! I haven't seen you in forever!" They must know each other from school.

"I know! I've missed you!" She squealed in reply. Con coughed 'subtly' and we all glanced at him. "Hi, Connor." She said, her joking boredness coming through. James came up behind her and put his arms around her waist. It was only then I realised the height difference between them, which must be about the same as Tris and me.

"Why didn't you and Aimee come back to school this year?" Millie asked Con as we all went into the sitting room.

"I had band stuff, and Aims just didn't want to, I guess." He glanced at Aimee and she nodded. "When do you need to be at the airport?"

"Airport?" Brad asked, speaking what we were all thinking.

"Yeah, I'm going to The Maldives with my family for Christmas. We've got a house there, and our flight is in... 4 hours." Millie said, smiling. We all chatted about our families and the band for about half an hour, then Con said they needed to leave. Aimee and Millie embraced each other once more and said goodbye, then the rest of us wished her a happy Christmas.