Hero

Aimee's POV

My mouth dropped open as the lights dimmed and he started to play the chords to Hero, one of my favourite songs. Salty tears pricked at the back of my eyes as he started singing sweetly. Dean gently pushed me towards the front of the crowd so I could see him clearer. The whole room suddenly fell silent with only James' smooth voice filling the air.

Oh please tell me this.

Now would you die

For the one you loved?

Hold me in your arms, tonight.

When our eyes met for a brief moment, I diverted my gaze to avoid his intense stare. I could practically feel his eyes burning through my soul.

I can be your hero, baby.

I can kiss away the pain, oh, yeah.

I will stand by you forever.

You can take my breath away.

I can be your hero.

I can kiss away the pain.

And I will stand by you forever.

You can take my breath away.

I can be your hero.

The song ended and the room was filled with screams once more. I caught his eye again and he mouthed 'I love you' to me, his eyes so full of sadness, it pierced my heart. Once James had left the stage, Daisy put her arm around my shoulders and pushed me, unsteady with tears streaming down my face, through the raucous crowd towards the exit to get some fresh air.

Brad's POV

James' shoulders sagged as he came of stage. The happy vibe that usually followed him was long gone.

"That was great, mate. You gave it your all, and the connection out there was magic", I said whilst patting him on the back.

"Brad, I was literally singing for my life. She means the world to me. I was so stupid not to say anything to those girls. I just... didn't know how to react to that. I mean it hurt me a lot but, I couldn't just snap at them. Management would slaughter me", he said, downhearted and regretful. Con and I comforted him more until Tris came to tell us that Tyler N Stevie had just finished their set which meant that we only had a few minutes until we were due on. James stood up from the crouching position he was currently in.

"I can't do this right now, guys. I'm sorry." He said, placing his guitar on it's stand and pushing past us.

"What? We're on in a minute!" Con shouted after him but he was already lost in the crowd.

Aimee's POV

"Aims, it'll be fine. I promise. It's clear to everyone how much you mean to each other." Daisy consoled me and handed me a tissue to wipe my eyes. 

"How am I supposed to trust him to help me again? And he can't just sort everything out with a song!" I said through a choked throat. She put her arms around me and hugged me tightly. I buried my face in her shoulder and let the tears run freely, my eyes blurring. I heard the door open and close, then Daisy moved away from me. I hid my face in my hands, not wanting whoever it was to see me in this state. I felt James' familiar arms wrap around me and hold me close

"I'm so, so sorry, Aimee. I love you, more than anything else in the world, and I don't deserve you. You are kind, and good, and beautiful, and you're everything that I'm not. No matter what anyone says, I love you, and I always will." I looked up at him with tear-filled eyes.

"When you sang, I could see in your eyes how much it meant to you. That song means a lot to me, and the fact you sung it just then made me realise how lucky I am to have you, James Daniel McVey." I hugged him tighter. "I love you too."

He looked into my eyes, smiling, and planted a kiss in my cheek.

"Alright, Soccer Six! We are The Vamps and this is Can We Dance!" hollered the familiar Birmingham accent over the speakers.

"Shit!" James laughed. "I'm late for my own performance - they've started without me!"

He kissed me again and then ran off towards the backstage entrance.

Daisy's POV

I watched on from a few metres away as James and Aimee spoke quietly to each other. They had seemed to have made up, so the day hadn't been a total disaster. Brad's voice echoed over the pitch as he introduced their first song. I noticed James run off and Aimee came running over like a child on Christmas day, a huge smile dominating her face.

"Come on! We need to watch them!" She cheered as she led me in the direction of the stage.