"She better be," Miren wanted to say. Because there was no way Chara could be doing this all on her own accord, right? She wasn't on Penelope's side, right?

"Anyway, we're getting off track," Chara continued. "The point is that most of the crazy things that happened here started when Olive transferred to St. Rosemunde. And when she and Artemis obtained confidential hospital footage and played it for the masses, they essentially broke the law. Since Dr. Castro and the school's IT department traced the footage from both Rinzen's and St. Rosemunde's servers and no personal student computers or account, no student can be punished on that basis. But our schools can—we're on probation for at least the rest of the year. And probation means no prom—ask the headmistress yourself."

If looks could kill, Olive would have been murdered in cold blood already. Yet somehow Chara's little announcement didn't faze her. Not much could, apparently.

"So throw your own bloody prom." Olive shrugged. "Don't act like you all don't have the money."

Chara rolled her eyes. "I don't think you understand what probation means. No one is allowed to go off campus except for emergencies. Weekends included. And unless your dad is the vice-president, then you're shit out of luck." A million more voices ceased the air. "And wait until you see Rinzen's restrictions."

"Shit," Parker said. "I guess asking for one week of peace was too much." Miren could feel her brain surge as Chara continued.

"To conclude, I just want you all to know that NONE of this is Penelope's fault. I was Miren's closest friend before she died, and even though I know their relationship was rocky at best, I have forgiven Penelope, and you should too." She stepped down from the table. "Thanks for your time, I guess."

As she prepared to walk back to her table, Miren stopped her. Sure, the animalistic anger inside her had died down, but she still looked like someone you didn't want to fuck with. And here Chara was, right in her face. Fighting the urge to gulp, she held her ground.

"What happened to you?" Chara did look genuinely concerned, but it was obvious that either girl wasn't particularly happy with the other. "Do you want to talk about it, boyfriend?"

"I'm not going to play games with you," Miren hissed. "So you tell me what the hell you were doing, and you better hope that I don't hate you for it."

"Why?" Chara blinked at her. "It's not like you ever tell me what's really going on. It's not like you're ever honest with me."

"If you're saying I'm a liar, then what are you?" The two girls stared each other down.

"I came clean," Chara challenged. "I told Penelope that I was responsible for everything. Sure, I could have been completely honest, but that would have meant throwing everyone else under the bus—and then I definitely wouldn't be able to stop her from committing suicide for the second time that I know of," she said firmly. Miren's eyes narrowed.

"And the funny thing is," Chara went on, shaking her head, "I was certain that she'd swear to ruin me—or even kill me on the spot. But you know what she did? She thanked me. Said that she was convinced the universe was literally trying to get at her for being in love with you. So stop pretending that you didn't hurt her—you ostracized her too. And for what?" Her eyes briefly landed on Parker, who was holding off a million girls literally trying to claw their way at Olive. "Him? Was Parker really worth turning your back on your best friend?"

"You don't know what you're talking about." Miren shook her head, refusing to let Chara's words get to her. Who knew what lies Penelope told her? Who knew how gullible Chara really was? "But fine. Whatever. Be the bitch's best friend. But when that ship sinks, don't expect me to save you."

"You're acting like you're not the one who steered it into an iceberg." Chara gave her a contemplative, knowing look. "Admit it."

"Why don't you admit that you cheated on Wallace?" Chara's eyes widened, but Miren knew she hadn't won this battle, not really. Her eyes scanned the cafeteria briefly. It was in too much chaos for anyone to consider their humble altercation, but she knew Jemma had to be watching. Which meant it was time to make her exit. "Doesn't matter. He doesn't want you anymore. No one does."

Miren didn't expect to be slapped, but the impact was hardly sobering.

"Fuck you," Chara was fuming. "You're not who I thought you were."

Because Miren was a sick person, she offered her former friend a strained smirk, not even bothering to attend to her stinging cheek as she walked out of the mess of a mess hall.  

"That sounds about right."