Chapter Nineteen : Dark Times Ahead

A/N picture above is Dakota, I know he doesn't have hazel eyes but let's pretend he does.

My body was riddled with anxiety on the way to Gemma's house, already knowing it was already a bad idea.

"It won't be that bad. What's the worst that can happen?" Dakota said with a chuckle as if reading my mind, as we came to a stop in front of Gemma's house. I could feel the rhythm of the music from outside making me feel more anxious than I already was.

"Right." I rolled my eyes and walked in behind him. Moving past all the sweaty crowded bodies we headed for the drink table and grabbed a couple. I downed a shot, hoping to put my nerves at ease. The clear liquid burned my throat as it went down, making my nose tingle.

"You made it." Gemma said, sounding obviously excited as she came up to us.

"I had no choice." I said as I glared at Dakota, who only grinned. Gemma looped her arm around mine and pulled me to the middle of the living room with everyone that was dancing.

I silently protested, glancing at Dakota. He gave me a half smile from across the room, tipping his drink toward me. I can't exactly say no to Gemma, what was I was supposed to say. No I can't dance with you, I'm dating Dakota. Any other time it'd be okay, but now that Dakota and I are dating, Gemma's unwanted advances would be hard to get past.

But for now, all I have to do is pretend and put up with it.

As the night progressed the party became wild and the amount of moving bodies increased. Gemma pulled me every which way but Dakota followed where ever we went. Not like the usual where he wandered off and found some random girl to mack on. It was comforting, knowing he wouldn't do that while with me. But let's knock on wood.

Somewhere along the way, Gemma had convinced Dakota to dance with her as Jane and I watched from the side. The song was fast paced and loud as they swayed back and forth.

"So you two, huh?" Jane more or so said, with a smug grin on her face.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Right." She chuckled. I smirked at her before taking a swig of my drink, knowing what she had meant. Jane wasn't like anyone I'd ever met, she could know so much about a person in so little time. It amazed me how quick her instincts were.

"Best party by far." Dakota said as he stood beside me, out of breath.

"Thanks." Gemma smiled clearly more intoxicated than from the first time I seen her. Even though Gemma was in the dark about everything, I was having fun with just the four of us. It had always been me and Dakota but now there's Gemma and Jane. I felt close to them and more open about myself, aside from the fact that I'm dating my best friend of course.

In the corner of my eye I noticed Eva walking towards us out of the crowd with a look of determination. Her two new sidekicks Alex and Queenie following behind her. I cursed under my breath, having a feeling something I wasn't going to like was about to happen. I nudged Dakota, getting his attention and nodded towards the three.

"This is what you left me for?" Eva yelled at him over the music as she pointed at me with a slender finger, her words were slurred. Her drawn on eyebrows were furrowed together and her other hand was on her hip as she swayed back and forth.

Dakota was already facing towards her with a look of nonchalance, as we all watched on the sidelines. Half of me was terrified of her and the other half was too buzzed to care.

Alex had on his usual smirk that seemed to be permanently on his face, waiting to watch the show before him. I rolled my eyes at Eva and let out a chuckle, pretending not to be fazed.

"Yeah, what of it?" Dakota chuckled and took a swig of his drink. My mouth gaped open at what he'd just said and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I could sense the eyes of everyone at the party on us as they gasped in unison. Gemma's eyes were burning into me but I ignored her stare. Too distracted by what was going on in front of me.

Eva scoffed.

"You can't break up with me! Especially not for your fucking best friend!"

"I knew you two were gay." Queenie glared at me with a look that could kill.

"Shut up Queenie." Jane rolled her eyes, momentarily quieting her red fiery lips and putting a halt to her death glare.

"Coach is going to kick your asses off the team." Alex chuckled, giving me a smug grin.

"Right." I scoffed and took a swig of my drink, wondering if it was the alcohol that was giving me this amount of confidence.

"I highly doubt that. You've been playing longer than me but everyone here knows I'm better." Dakota grinned.

"Watch it Dakota, you being the quarterback doesn't mean shit to me." Alex grabbed Dakota by the scruff of his shirt and I stood up to him unknowingly in an instant, shoving him with both hands but he hardly moved an inch.

"Don't fucking touch me." Alex shoved me sending me reeling back and bumping into a random onlooker.

"No fighting. House rules, remember?" Dakota smirked before Alex let out a growl before he decided to step away.

"Let's go." Dakota grabbed my hand and dragged me towards the door, getting ready to leave.

"This isn't over!" Eva screamed as we tailed it out the house.

The streets were quiet on the way to my place, leaving only the sounds of animals to echo through them and the sky was still pitch black.

"That was insane." I let out a breath of hot air, my heart pumping with adrenaline at Dakota's confession in front of almost everybody at the party. The only thing I could think about was that word will get around fast and I know Gemma will be talking my ear off when I see her at school on Monday.

"I-I'm sorry I didn't know what to say and it kind of just came out, like word vomit or something." Dakota spit out so fast it sounded like one long sentence.

"I can't believe you said that to her." I chuckled in disbelief as we came to a stop in front of my bedroom window.

"At least, now we don't have to hide anything." I nodded at him but part of me still wished he hadn't said anything.

"Well I should get home." Dakota said as I climbed though the window.

"Yeah." I said leaning against the windowsill after regaining my posture.

Dakota turned around, getting ready to walk home, only to face me once again. He leaned in close over the windowsill and hesitated for a moment, staring into my eyes before pressing his lips against mine. I felt the blood rush to my cheeks instantly, wanting him to come inside, tempted to ask him. But I could only manage to chuckle as he winked at me and walked away with a huge grin. Is it just me or did the temperature get higher? Maybe it's the alcohol.

I laid in bed, pulling the covers over me, wondering what was going to happen on Monday at school. To hell with that, what were our parents going to say if they found out?

Please tell me what you think of this chapter in the comments! And don't forget to vote :)