Chapter 19 - Fearful

Today is the first day of stage two - also known as the day I start to unlock the deepest fears of the initiates. it's quite uncomfortable for me sometimes. However it can be quite interesting. Most of the time, however, it's extremely boring. The same fears  repeat themselves in other people's minds. Rejection. Insects. Heights. They are the most common.

I call Lynn - Shauna's younger sister - in first - in no particular order,  but she appeared to be intimidating the transfers - or at least trying. I begin to tell her what will happen but she cuts me off by saying that she doesn't care. 

I quickly inject her with the serum and turn to the screen. Heights. My mind wonders off as Lynn battles through her fear - not Divergent, so all is good.

Lynn quickly wakes, gasping for air and I record her time - 10 minutes. Average for a non-Divergent, Dauntless born. I tell her the time and she walks out, with me on her heels to call in the next initiate.

"Peter," I call, breaking the silence in the hallway. I tell people what to expect, although he doesn't seem to be paying much attention. I inject the serum again into Peter's neck and watch the screen. 

Rejection. 

Not Divergent.

I watch the time as Peter fights through his fear. My thoughts start to wonder to my mother again. I don't realise when Peter wakes up.

"Six?" he calls and I look back at him. His face is tear-stained from living in his fear. 

"Oh," I quietly look at the monitor to check the time. "12 minutes" I say bluntly. I still haven't forgave him for hurting Toby, or humiliating him. 

He nods, walking out the door swiftly.

I refill the needle with the serum after Peter walks out before going to collect the next initiate.

"Toby," I call, again breaking the silence that fills the hall.

Toby stand up slowly before walking towards the door. I notice that Drew sticks his leg out, attempting to trip Toby up, but Toby elegantly leaps over the outstretched leg, a smug look appearing on his face as he does so.

He follows me through the door, closing it behind him. He instantly recoils when he sees the chair in front of him.

"Sit," I say softly, while still holding the mask that I spent years building up, squeezing his arm softly to reassure him.

"What's the simulation?" he asks, his voice breaking in the mid-sentence.

Potentially Divergent...

"Ever heard of the phrase 'face your fears'? We're taking that literally here," I say, my voice still soft.

He pulls his hand to his forehead, worry written all over his face. He sits down nonetheless.

"Do you ever administer the aptitude tests?" he asks gently. I feel my body stiffen at the question.

"No," I reply, my voice eerily smooth given the question posed. "I avoid Stiffs as much as possible."

"Why?" he questions.

'So I don't bump into the monster' My head screams

"Do you ask me that because you think I'll answer?"my mouth says for me.

"Why do you say vague things if you don't want to asked about them?" 

I lightly brush my fingers against his neck to remove some invisible dust that was on his neck - just to be able to touch him - and avoid the question.