Chapter 12 - Capture The Flag: Part 2

My team jump off of the train, all of them successfully landing on their feet. I walk a few paces away from them, with Marlene following close behind. She puts her hand on my shoulder and asks "When your team won, where did you hide the flag?"

"Telling you wouldn't really be part of the exercise, now would it, Marlene?" I reply, my voice cold.

"Come on Six!" she begins whining but I turn to ignore her.

"Navy Pier" Uriah speaks up – of course he knows. "My brother was on the winning team. They kept the flag hidden under the carousel."

"Let's go there then?" Will suggests.

We all begin heading in the direction of the Pier, me leading the way.

I try to pay attention to the conversation behind me, but quickly return to focusing on the task in hand.

We walk over the bridge over the lake, when I see a light coming from behind me. I turn back to see that Marlene is the one with her flashlight out. I turn back, continuing to lead my team to the carousel.

"Scared of the dark, Mar?" I hear Uriah ask in a teasing manner.

"If you want to step on broken glass, Uriah, be my guest," she hisses back. The light behind me is soon turned off.

The buildings come to an end, and we reach the Pier. The Ferris Wheel is the first attraction in sight, its scaffolding with lights, which would have once been illuminated at this time.

We quickly reach the carousel. The attraction remains in the same state as it was two years ago.

My team gather around me as I pull the flag out of my pocket.

"In ten minutes, the other team will pick their location." I start, making eye contact with all of my team members. "I suggest you use this time to formulate a strategy. We may not be Erudite, but mental preparedness is one aspect of your training. Arguably, it is the most important aspect."

AS I finish, Will takes the flag from me as he speaks. "Some people should stay here to guard the flag, and some should go out to scout the other team's location."

Marlene rips the flag out of Will's hand before she says "Yeah? You think? Who put you in charge, transfer?"

"No one" Will throws back, "But someone's got to do it,"

"Maybe we should develop a defensive strategy. Wait for them to come to use, then take them out," Christina proposes.

Uriah suddenly joins in the argument. I look up at the sky. There are no stars present, just the glistening, silver moon. I relax as I observe it.

I notice that the shouting has gotten worse, so I look around at my team. I soon notice that Toby has begun to walk away. I wait a few seconds before deciding to follow him.

I notice Toby is heading in the general direction of the Ferris Wheel. I keep a few metres behind him, and my suspicions are soon confirmed.

He reaches out to grab the first rung on a hidden ladder, which is only visible now I'm close enough to it to see it.

"You're not going to jump are you?" I ask, keeping my voice low.

Toby turns his head to look at me.

"No, I'm just seeking higher ground," he replies calmly.

"Alright, I'm coming." I say. I have no idea why, but I still feel the urge to protect the Abnegation transfer.

"I'll be fine," he says back.

"Undoubtedly,"

I begin to climb, quickly closing the gap between myself and Toby.