Chapter 2 - Pits and Fearsome Waters

As soon as the last initiate has made their way to the bottom, Zeke and I introduce ourselves.

"I'm Zeke-"

"Yeah, we know who you are," Zeke's younger brother - Uriah I think his name is - interrupts Zeke.

"Shut it, Uriah. As I was saying, I'm Zeke. I shall be training the Dauntless born initiates," Zeke starts again. "We're going to get started straight away... I'm guessing you guys don't need a tour of the place." The Dauntless born cheer and start running as Zeke leads then away.

I'm soon left with eight transfers. Five from Candor. Two from Erudite. And one Abnegation. No-one from Amity transferred, which doesn't come as a surprise.

"I'm Six-." I start, before I get interrupted by one of the Candor initiates. One thing about me - I hate being interrupted.

"You mean Six like the number?"

"Exactly like the number. Is there a problem Candor?" I reply to her, in my apparently scary trainer voice, getting closer to her. She's a couple of inches taller than me, but that doesn't stop her from cowering down as I speak.

"No." She barely whispers.

"Good. Now as I was saying. I'm Six. I'm going ti be your trainer and instructor. But firstly, let's give you a tour of the place."

I start walking towards the entrance, with the echoing of footsteps of the initiates bwhind me. I work my way through the darkened hallways, hearing the occasional mumnle from behind me. When we are a couple of feet away from the Pit, I turn back to the initiates, not stopping.

"Firstly, we have the Pit-."

The same Candor initiate starts snickering.

"The Pit. How original."

Does she not understand that I don't like being interrupted?

"What's your name?" I ask, no longer walking backwards.

"Christina." She replies, smugly.

"Well, Christina." I walk towards her again, watching as she backs down yet again. "the first thing you'll learn from me, if you want to survive here, is to keep your mouth shut. Got it? If I wanted to deal with you smart mouths, I would have transferred there."

She squeaks something inaudible, and I smirk as I lead the way. I hear Christina mumbling something about how harsh I'm being to her, and the voice that replies surprises me. Toby.

"She's not that bad. I guess she just doesn't like being interrupted. I guess you'll just have to stay on the right side of her."

Well, he's gathered a lot of information about me already.

I stop once we arrive at the Pit.

"This is the Pit. It's the centre of life here at Dauntless."
I step to the side slightly, allowing the initiates to get a good look around. I look over and see that the stiff is smiling. He definitely belongs here.

After a couple of minutes, I speak up again.

"Let's go to the Chasm."
I start, turning on my heel to follow the winding path that leads to the artefact. As we climb, I tense slightly as my fear of heights emerges. I simply grip onto my hands, allowing my nails the opportunity to pierce the skin. It always seems to help.

As we get to the top, I turn again to face the initiates, who look at the potential death bed in awe. The calm waters to the one side and the constant roar of the waterfall on the other come together to create an amazing piece of architectural brilliance in one place. It's a good place to come to clear your head.

"The Chasm is a reminder that there is a fine line between bravery and stupidity." I say as calmly as my fear will allow. "one jump off of here could end your journey."

I look around at the initiates and see that Toby is again smiling, while everyone else looks down in shock and horror at the fearsome waters below.

I clear my throat to get their attention.

"We're going to your living quarters now," I say firmly, my fear still pumping adrenaline through my veins.

I push through the initiates to lead them to their room, winding through the darkened and twisted pathways again to my - our - destination.

"This is where you'll be staying during training," I begin. There are mumbles of disgust as the initiates look around their room. One of the male Candor transfers speaks up.

"Girls or boys?" he questions.

"Both," I say while smirking.
It's the most uncomfortable thing to do. You're in a room with your fellow initiates, and they can easily be shown everything. The stiff will definitely struggle staying here - we're taught to keep ourselves covered.

"Dinner is being served at 6. I expect you to be in your Dauntless training clothes by then." I say before turning to leave, not before seeing the nine shocked faces that over my transfers.