Chapter 9: Ms. Marx

"Excuse me, I'm looking for Mr. Miranda?" a woman in a blue blouse and gray pencil skirt says.

"Uh, that's me." Lin says, walking into the middle of an aisle so the woman can see him. "Lin-Manuel Miranda at your service."

"My name is Chelsea Marx, I'm from Child Protective Services." she explains. "Where is Genesis James?"

"She's on the stage." Oak says, seeing the nervous look on Gen's face. He motions her over, and she hops off the stage and walks over to them.

"I'm G-Genesis." she mumbles, and Ms. Marx smiles slightly.

"You don't need to be so nervous, Genesis." she tells her. "I'm here to make sure you get put in the best possible situation."

"My wife and I are trying to adopt her." Lin tells her.

"I've been told." she states. "If I think you're the best option for her, then you can." He sighs at this.

"We can all go talk in my dressing room." he says. "Follow me." He leads Ms. Marx and Gen through the theater and to his dressing room, and he pulls out his computer chair for her. "Sit, please."

"Thank you." she says, taking a seat, and him and Gen sit down across from her on the couch. "Now, Genesis, can you tell me a bit about your father?" Lin sees her visibly tense at the thought.

"He's an abusive drunk. He basically kept me prisoner for 6 years."

"What's the significance of 6 years?"

"It's the amount of time since my mom died. He started drinking right after it happened."

"How did she die?"

"Cancer."

"And your dad was never the same afterwards?"

"Never."

"The night you met Mr. Miranda, where were you and your father going?"

"Home. He had went to pick up some stuff from the store for a trip he was going on with his friends, and he had taken me with him."

"What were you going to do once you got home?" Ms. Marx asks, and Gen shifts uncomfortably, something Lin is very curious about.

"Well... Dad was gonna go to bed." she replies.

"And you?" Ms. Marx asks curiously. "What were you gonna do?"

"I... I don't wanna say." Ms. Marx tilts her head in confusion.