Chapter 5

As the group of three sat at the end of the table they began to chat and eat as Professor McGonagall went through the students one by one, passing out a sheet of paper, the other head of the houses seemed to replicate her actions.

"Oi, Benjy, what do you reckon she's passing out there?"

"Maybe it's our schedules," He replied, turning back towards his plate.

"So, what were you so jumpy about this morning?" Carina asked as she remembered her strange conversation earlier.

"I just," he paused trying to not sound suspicious, "heard a strange conversation from two boys on the stairs.

"Oo, er day?" Hestia asked with a mouthful of pancakes, syrup dripping down her chin.

"English please," Carina said, annoyed as the Owls came in and she saw one of her families birds carrying a red envelope. She knew it was coming, she just didn't think that her foul mother would send a howler to her. She quickly snatched the envelope up and went into the hall, trying to not make a scene. Benjy and Hestia quickly stood up and followed her out, trying to find out what was wrong.

As Remus buttered his toast he saw Carina jump up from the table, carrying an envelope with her friends following her. After the doors closed he jumped up and told his friends he had to get something. As he followed the sound of footsteps he suddenly heard a screaming voice.

"How dare you! I thought I would've raised you better than to leave a dastardly book like that in front of my door. I always knew you were a disappointment, you ruined the last sliver of respect I had for you when you got sorted into that filthy house. You are a horrible daughter and I am ashamed to have given birth to a child with your attitude and viewpoints! You are a disgrace to the Noble House of Black, and don't bother coming home for Christmas you are not welcomed here. And find someone to spend your summer with, because I bloody don't want you here!"

Walburga's voice rang throughout the halls as the letter burst into flames and became ashes. Carina sank to the floor and began to cry, covering her face with her hands as her body shook with sobs.

"Carina..." Hestia said, trying to think of something comforting to say.

"J-just please l-leave me a-alone," she said, stuttering as she spoke through the tears.

"Ok, we'll get your stuff for you, we have Transfiguration first, by the way, we'll tell McGonagall what happened," Hestia said as she and Benjy turned and walked back to the great hall.

Remus stepped into the hall and walked up to her and sat down next to her.

"I-I told you g-guys I want to-to be a-alone," She said, not looking up at the person.

"I wanted to ask you if you were okay, that sounded pretty harsh," He said in a gentle voice.

"Oh." she chuckled wiping her eyes with the sleeves of her robes, "sorry that you had to see me looking like a complete mess,"

"You look fine, but are you okay?" he asked again.

She sniffled again, before sighing deeply, "No, not really." she used her sleeve to wipe away her remaining tears.

~~~~~~~~~
As Regulus sat in his room he tried to read a book, one that his sister had given him before her collection was destroyed, but he couldn't focus as he began to hear his mother screaming. Regulus opened his door and crept over to the staircase, he sat down, making no sound, and listened.

"Carina does not belong in this family! She is a blood traitor! Sirius and Regulus are much more well-behaved children than she will ever be. She brings shame and disgrace to our family!" Walburga yelled to her husband, Orion.

"Walburga, don't do what I think you're going to do. If we give her another chance maybe we can change her mindset." Orion pleaded, knowing that his wife was planning on blasting their daughter's name off of their family tree.

"We have given her too many chances! She is just like her cousin Andromeda, with her wishy-washy beliefs! Until she turned 10 she was completely content with being elite! Now, she believes it's a sin, she is a disgrace." Regulus heard the harshness of his mother's voice and knew she meant every word that had escaped her lips.

"Walburga I'm begging you, give her time. I will write to her and try to convince her. When the year is over if she doesn't admit that being a pureblood is the right way, you can remove her from the tapestry." Orion had just made a deal on his daughter's future, and he didn't know if he would be successful.
Regulus got up and ran back into his room, but cracked the door open as he watched his father head up the stairs. His face looked sullen as if he knew that his deal was going to fail. Regulus quickly followed after his father silently, curious as to what he was doing. But he kept walking further upward Regulus knew, he was going to her room on the top floor.

"But why?" He thought as he continued to follow stealthily behind.

Orion opened the blue door and stepped inside his daughter's room, he lifted his wand and performed mending charms over all of the bookcases. Regulus peered in and saw something he had never seen before in his father, remorse, and guilt. Regulus remained unnoticed as Orion mended every single book that he had destroyed, he began summoning the boxes as he packed all of the books inside. He sat down at her white desk with blue flowers designed on it after the books were all packed. He pinched the bridge of his nose, trying to remove the ache in his head that was a result of the dramatic day he had. With a whistle, the family owls came and were loaded with the boxes, ordered to go to Hogwarts and deliver to Carina.
Then, just then, Regulus realized that Carina was his father's favorite. Regulus had not seen him sit down to write a letter to Sirius yet, and his father barely ever talked to either of them. He ran back down the stairs to his room and sat by his window, watching the raindrops slither down the glass pane.
"I will be better than her, I will show him that I share his beliefs and I am loyal to our family, unlike her. I will become his favorite!" He said to himself, determined to become the best out of his siblings.

1125 words
If you're reading this right after it's published, then you'll know that it's Fathers Day today, so I decided to have the Father more in the story than he had been so far. Ilysm to all that have been patient for the update. So comment and tell me how I can make the story better, or what you'd want to see in the future. I hope you guys have a great weekend and don't forget to vote, comment, and share the story.
Lots of Love,
Jazzy