Chapter 3

As Carina entered the castle with Hestia and Benjy they got pushed with the crowd into a room with all of the other first years. A professor entered the room, adorned in black robes and a pointed hat. Her face was stretched into a stern frown as she saw Sirius and his friends already trying to cause trouble.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. I am Professor McGonagall, the head of the Gryffindor. There are four possible houses to be sorted into, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Slytherin, and Hufflepuff. When you go into The Great Hall, your name will be called one by one and you will sit on the stool, having the sorting hat placed on your heads." Professor McGonagall spoke in a voice that matched her expression.
"Wicked!" Hestia whispered to Carina in excitement.
Carina looked around and saw a boy with longish black hair that was talking to a red-headed girl. She saw the three boys from the boats accompanying her brother.

As Professor McGonagall led them into The Great Hall Carina looked up to the ceiling to see the cloudy night sky above them, she turned to Hestia and whispered, "Did you know it's just an illusion, to look like the sky?"
Hestia shook her head but continued to be mesmerized.
Carina smiled as the three lined up, waiting to be sorted, she knew that this was the beginning of the rest of her life.

About five people were sorted before McGonagall called out, "Black, Carina," She walked forward, preparing to be sorted into the house that people in her family had been in for generations. She could hear her heartbeat as she timidly stepped towards the stool feeling all eyes on her. As she sat down and the hat was placed over her head, her mind wandered towards the house that she truly wanted to be in and before she knew what was happening she heard the hat yell out in its unique voice,

"Gryffindor!"

She was in shock as the hat was removed and she heard the screams and claps of the house of lions. Carina couldn't seem to focus as she walked towards the table full of the robed lions. Carina has of course been expecting the ceremony to go two ways, she'd either go to Ravenclaw, which wouldn't be as much of a disappointment to her family, or she'd end up in Slytherin, making her family proud. But, never, never did she ever imagine being in Gryffindor, she wasn't known for her bravery or courage in her family, only her brain.

Carina gulped as she sat down, making sure to save space for her friends. Seconds after, she heard her brothers name called out, she looked up to see him stride forward with a cocky smirk adorned. As soon as he sat on the stool and the hat was barely near him it screamed out, "GRYFFINDOR!"
She clapped along with the rest of them, but she was nervous nonetheless. Her mother never hated him like she did Carina. Now she knew that was going to change, her mother would tell them how much shame they brought to the family. Carina zoned out as she thought about having to go home for Christmas.
As Benjy was called to the stool, it seemed as if the Hat was deliberating, after what had seemed like 3 minutes it yelled out Gryffindor. She clapped along with her house as her friend came and sat next to her. Carina congratulated him before going back to her thoughts.
But she was snapped out of her daze as she heard Hestia's name called out.

Hestia gulped as she approached the stool. Before sitting down she looked to one of her only friends, Carina, sitting at the Gryffindor table, smiling towards her. She drew in a breath before sitting down and having the hat placed on her head.
"Ahh, where to put you, where to put you. Maybe Hufflepuff?"
"No! I don't want to be in that house!"
"Well, I know where to put you then."

"GRYFFINDOR!"

Carina clapped loudly as her friend jumped down from the stool and walked over to the table. Carina waved her over towards where her and Benjy were sitting.
After a while the sorting was finally over, and the boys from the boat had also been sorted into Gryffindor as well as another two girls.