They were broken people, people who had gone through countless horrors, people who could no longer control themselves. I had always pitied them, I could always see them trying not to lose their tempers, to try to understand me, to express their love, but all I had done was push them away. I had never tried to understand them, and I now regret that, for they are gone. 

I felt tears stream down my face as I played. Maybe, just maybe I could have stopped them. I could have helped them. But now it's too late. I can not reverse the past, nor can I bring back the dead. 

This is why I had tried so hard to hate them. For it'd be too painful otherwise. I am a coward, running away from pain, not cherishing my family like I should have. 

I can not change the past, but I can change the future. I will cherish my family and my friends, and I will die before I allow any harm to come to those that I consider precious. Even if the whole world stands against them, I will never leave their side. This is my resolve.

As the last few notes faded from my strings, the hall was silent. Too silent. I was sure that I didn't mess up. What was wrong? Then all of a sudden, thunderous clapping could be heard from every direction. There were cheers, yells, whistles, and reporters and television stations tried to get close to me to have a word. 

I froze. This was all... for me? I looked around and saw smiles in every direction. 

They were smiling... for me? I fell into a daze. I had never seen so many people happy before. My cheeks started to hurt from smiling so much and my face was flushed in happiness. After I left the stage, the applause still rang on and the mean girl going after me looked flustered because of the continuous roars from the audience. She messed up a few times, and once she was finished, she quickly ran back to her seat, blushing in embarrassment. 

The boy who was often seen with a frown was observing me. Under his gaze, I felt like an ant, even though he could only be around the same age as I. Whatever he was looking for he found, and he nodded at me before scooting his chair closer to mine. I then scooted my chair farther away from his. For some reason, this boy made me feel uncomfortable, as if I was small and insignificant. His gaze seemed clearer than most grown ups, and it felt as though he had the natural aura of a king looking over his subjects. It made you want to comply to his every wish, and made you feel terrified of incurring his wrath. He didn't bother to come any closer.

"What is that song called?" he asked. I knew that he was talking about the one that I had played.

"It's called "Lord of the Rings Medley"," I said.

"Never heard of it." His reply was immediate and blunt.

"W-well, you probably haven't because it is relatively unknown." I said, feeling cold sweat run down my back.

"Hm. If I haven't heard of it, then no one here has ever heard of it, I assure you. Next time that you want to keep your abilities hidden, come up with a better excuse." After imparting upon me that piece of advice, he scooted back to his original spot and ignored me for the rest of the evening. I sighed in relief. Why does it feel like I have seen his face before? I thought to myself. I just couldn't place my finger on it. 

After the recital, reporters swarmed me and my family the minute I left the building. My family's security guards immediately surrounded me and blocked their advances as we hurried towards the car. Suddenly, there was a "BANG!" and people started screaming. Gunshots rang out in the crowd and I tried to find the source amidst the chaos. There were two people hiding behind a truck, and I saw one of them point the nozzle of a gun at my mother and fire. 

"NOOOO!" I screamed and pushed my mother to the side. My momentum had me falling after her towards the ground. Suddenly, an intense pain burst from my ribs, so painful that I saw specks of white floating in and out of my vision. I collapsed, with my mother next to me going hysterical, screaming for an ambulance. I heard distant sirens in the distance, before everything became fuzzy and eventually black.

Alexa's dress

Alexa's dress