My Resolve

I waited in my seat, dreading the call of my number. I was currently situated in the middle of the program, which was coming up soon. None of the players so far had been impressive, except for a young boy who had played the piano, his piece was so dark and so haunting that it had given me chills. The rest had been mediocre, so I wasn't that worried about how my piece would do. I was more worried about my reaction to playing music again. 

Would the memories swarm me? 

Would it take over my being and drive me insane like it did my parents? 

My hands were trembling. The person next to me, a girl in a sparkly pink dress smirked. She was probably around 2 years older than me and had just barely made the deadline. 

"Why are you so nervous? I bet that you just got in with your parents' connections. You are far too young to be participating in a competition like this. Why don't you just give up already?" She said in an arrogant tone. The boy who had done the terrifyingly haunting piece frowned at the girl and the noise that she was making. He seemed to be trying to concentrate on the music.

"Yes," I said. The girl smirked in triumph while the boy turned his disapproving eyes on me. "Yes, I am nervous, but I am confident in my playing. Yes, I got in with my parents' connections," cue the frown from the boy, "but I have worked harder at this instrument than you, or anyone else in this room ever have, or ever will." I then thought about it for a moment. "Except for that guy," I said nodding my head towards the still frowning boy.

The girl was flabbergasted, "You little-"

"Shut up," the boy finally spoke up. He had a slightly clipped accent, "you should try to listen to one play before accusing one of being incapable. Ability is not measured by anything other than hard work, talent, and time. To get anywhere, you always need hard work and at least one of the other two to succeed. You are older than her by years, which equates to hundreds of more days of practice. Even if you are better than her, it would probably just be because of more time. On the other hand, if she is better than you, and what you spouted before was nonsense, then you are the truly incapable one that can't keep their mouth shut." He sighed in annoyance after his lecture and then went back to ignoring us. I stared at that boy amused, my nerves fading away. 

That's right, I will show that trash just who truly is the incapable one. When I was her age, I could already play at the level of professional musicians who did this as a living. No matter how much mental strain I go through, I will not stop playing the music, for that would be the same as admitting defeat. 

I heard my name being announced on the other side of the door. I nodded towards the boy, then went onto the stage. I took a deep breath in, and then looked towards my accompaniment. We both nodded towards each other and then I started to play. I had chosen to play the "Lord of the Rings Medley" by Lindsey Stirling. It was a song that was both extremely beautiful and free, and it had always made me feel at peace. Plus, it was not hard to the point that people would start suspecting me, for my outward appearance was only one of a 5 year old. 

Lord of the Rings Medley (I highly recommend this song)

I had felt extremely complicated when picking this piece. My parents had used to like listening to me play this before they went to sleep, kind of like a lullaby. It brought back painful memories of them, but I had thought that it was finally time to come to terms with these feelings. 

I had loved them, although I detested their psychotic tendencies and inconsideration for others, I had always felt a need to take care of them. After school I would always buy them food because they would always forget, and I would sing to them in the mornings to get them to wake up. They were at times abusive and cruel, but at the same time, kind and loving.