Chapter 13

Leia Organa POV

I was busy chatting to a few of my closest officers (a friendly chat for once, not work related) when the crowd in the underground computer room seemed to split in half as a spherical droid zoomed past everyone. He didn't even care if feet were run over.

But seeing this droid absent of this owner gave me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. One can only take so many risks before his chances are spent.

The officers backed off as BB-8 came to a screeching halt (barely) before me. He ran off a string of beeps so quickly I couldn't even catch the gist of it. "BB-8, slow down. I can't understand a word you're saying. Where's Poe?"

Another round of beeps left me dumbfounded. He nudged me a few times, looking as anxious as I've ever seen him. The droid probably wants to slap me out of frustration.

I turned around, scanning the contents of the room for the only person (or thing) I knew that could assist me. "Threepio!"

Moments later, a gold protocol droid shuffled his way up to me as fast as his stiff legs would let him. "Princ- I mean, General Organa! How may I be of assistance to you?" His gold head pivoted to the floor, catching sight of the orange spotted droid. "BB-8, you've returned from your mission to Devaron. I will need you for debriefing when I am finished assisting the general."

BB-8, relieved someone in his presence could fully understand him, started rambling off everything to C-3PO. The protocol droid threw his arms up. Either he learned this from watching humans, or it was just an oddity in his programming. "How ever am I supposed to understand you speaking that quickly! Slow down before you fry your circuits!"

"Can you translate what he's saying?" I asked C-3PO.

If the droid had the ability to shrug, he would have. "If BB-8 would speak more clearly, I would General Organa. I shall try my hardest though."

BB-8 emitted what sounded like an exasperated sigh and started beeping again, this time more slowly.

"Oh this is dreadful!" C-3PO exclaimed dramatically. "What ever shall we do?"

"If you tell me what's going on, maybe I could help," I said impatiently. The protocol droid was nothing less than annoying at times.

"BB-8 said that Commander Dameron went off to explore the Jedi Temple of Eedit but he never returned. Then he heard gunfire and soon after a silver shuttle took off into space. BB-8 believes his master was kidnapped by whoever owns the shuttle! Oh it can't get worse than this!"

"That's Ben's shuttle," I muttered, then I said louder to the droid, "It's the First Order. They've captured him."

"Oh my, it can get worse!" If C-3PO could, he would probably have a nervous breakdown. "General Organa, what are we to do about this? We have to recuse Commander Dameron. He is such a valuable resource to the Resistance!"

I didn't need to be reminded of that. "I know Threepio but we can't just march into the First Order and take him back. I'm afraid, as much as I hate to say it...there's nothing we can do rationally. Not without losing more of our own."

BB-8 lowered his head, sulking, and slowly rolled away. I felt bad for him but I can't risk losing a dozen men to save one. That's not how a military is run.

"Poe is smart. He may be able to escape. Have hope," I spoke encouragingly to the spherical droid before he was out of earshot.

That's all we have left to do.

Hope.

Summer POV

I made my way through the Finalizer, straining to recall the correct passageways that would lead back to the interrogation chamber. On edge from Kylo's encounter, I made probably far too many wrong turns which only wasted precious time. I guessed Kylo left to seek guidance from Snoke over my incredible use of the Force and I have to get Poe out of the Star Destroyer before he returns. I don't know how much time I ultimately have but it can't be long.