Chapter 5 | The Party

It's today.

I can't put it off any longer.

The party. It's today.

I'm having a lot of trouble deciding what to wear. I would usually wear something nice, but I don't know if this is casual or not—I just don't know.

Right now I'm frantically messaging Glory and Alex to find out what they're going to wear. Of course, when I say Glory and Alex, I mean Alex, because I'm still mad at Glory.

•••

rose555: what are you wearing to the party

alex_lansky: idk, umm jeans

rose555: are you sure???

alex_lansky: yep

rose555: k then

rose555: what's Glory wearing

alex_lansky: idk

alexlansky: she won't talk to me

alex_lansky: what's wrong with her

rose555: idk

rose555: lee said that troy might know do you have troys number???

alex_lansky: lee when were you talking to lee?????

rose555: nvm

rose555: i was just arguing with him the other day

alex_lansky: kk see u soon

•••

Sighing, I finally decide on jeans and go out to the front porch. Alex was supposed to pick Glory and I up—but we hadn't spoken since yesterday, so I  don't know how that's going to work.

I've only waited for a few minutes before I see a battered silver SUV pull up beside the curve. I recognize it as Alex's because I can see her dark silhouette in the backseat.

I walk up to the car and she pulls the back window down. "Can I ride shotgun?"

"Nope!" I can hear a muffled voice through the window and the front side window is rolled down to reveal someone else in the front seat.

"Glory!" I shout. "You're here early!"

Glory nods. "I texted Alex last-minute and she came by early. Are we cool about the whole username drama?"

No. "Yes," I answer carefully. I was always the peacekeeper of the group, and I could tell that the last thing we needed was more drama.

"Good." I can tell by the dullness of her hazel eyes that she's too tired to deal with this situation. I want to know why.

But it's not my priority. My priority is the party.

I climb into the other backseat, trying to ignore my growing worry about the party. Alex's dark-haired mom was sitting in the driver's seat, looking mildly annoyed at Glory, who was sipping soda.