Chapter 13: Just One Yesterday (Hailey)

Start from the beginning

"And he calls me violent." I muttered as I ducked into a stall and sat my phone on the toilet paper holder thing. I lowered my volume as I put Carter on speakerphone.

"You threw a book at him." I rolled my eyes and pulled my shirt off.

"Does he tell everyone about that?" I asked him and groaned silently when I noticed the juice had soaked through my shirt and onto my bra.

"It's funny as fuck because little Hailey Jacobs threw a book at her bestest friend." Carter teased me in a baby voice.

"It's funnier when you remember we didn't become bestest friends until spring, and the book throwing happened in October because it was the day of the Halloween party." I unclasped my bra and slid it off before tossing it onto my shirt.

"No." Carter said and I raised an eyebrow at my phone.

"Mason trying to get his phone back?" I smiled and pulled Mason's sweatshirt on.

"You get to talk to her all the time, Mase!" Carter yelled. "I need to talk to her about something."

I heard Mason's voice but couldn't make out what he saying.

"Mason, stop being an ass." I put my phone to my ear again as I shoved my stained clothes and notebook into my backpack. "Let me talk to Carter."

"Hear that Mase?" Carter questioned gleefully. "She wants to talk to me."

"Why?" I heard Mason asked him.

"Because I'm awesome." Carter answered. "And I need to ask her my question still, so go pout over there."

"Fine." I heard Mason grumble.

"What do you need to talk to me about?" I unlocked the stall door but didn't leave as I waited for his question.

"I wanted to know if you wanted to go to my grandma's birthday party with me." I covered my laugh up with a cough. "I know you and Mase are..."

I waited for him to finish his sentence.

"...you and Mase." I snorted. "But please! My grandma loves you-"

"I've only met her a handful of times." I reminded him. "Why don't you bring your boyfriend?"

"Because I'm only out to my parents and grandma." He sighed. "The rest of my family knows I'm in a relationship but don't know I'm gay."

"Fine, I'll go." I told him. "Only because you're my friend, and it gives you something to tease Mason about."

"I know." He sounded so happy about this. "Someone other than Mason gets to hang out with Hailey Jacobs."

"Unheard of." I laughed. "Before Mason knows it, I'll have other friends."

"Mason, stop kicking me." Carter said to Mase as the bell rang.

"I have to go." I opened the stall door. "Tell Mase I said bye."

"Okay, bye Hailey!" Carter rushed his goodbye before hanging up.

"They're such dorks." I shook my head and slid my phone into my back pocket.

*****

"Too bad it's not a home game." I told Justin as we sat down in English.

"Yeah, you don't get to drool." Justin winked at me when I glared at him. "Come on."

"Shut up." I looked away from him and got my notebook and pencil.

"Hail..." I looked up at Justin who was staring at my shirt.

"Just..." I raised my eyebrows at him.

"Isn't that Mason's team sweatshirt?" He grinned at me.

"I accidentally spilled juice on my shirt." I could feel myself blushing.

"Accidentally." He nudged his foot against mine.

"It was an accident." I flipped my notebook open and stared at it in confusion. "The fuck?"

"What?" Justin leaned over and looked at the notebook. "First his sweatshirt, now his notebook."

"I must've switched our notebooks when I moved his things around to get his sweatshirt." I closed his notebook without bothering to try to figure out what class it was for since he's a messy writer and left-handed; his handwriting is so bad most teachers require him to type his homework.

"Um, Hail." Justin pointed at my bag where my bra was sticking out from under my shirt.

"Don't tell Mase." I asked him as I zipped my bag up.

"Of course." He sounded off.

"What?" I asked as the sub started taking attendance. "You only sound like that when you're worried."

"Promise not to tell Han-?" He mumbled under his breath, so Sophia wouldn't hear him.

"If it involves you cheating or your dad doing shady shit to you, I'll scream it while running to her last period." I warned him.

He let out a small laugh. "Or Mase."

"You want me to keep a secret from my twin and best friend?" I looked at him as if he grew a second head.

"Please?" He begged, and I nodded. "I heard my dad talking on the phone this morning about Jessica."

"Mason's Mom?" He nodded. "Is it about housing stuff?"

"Kinda." He ran a hand down his face. "Apparently Jessica has been trying to steal properties and buyers from my Dad, and he's pissed."

"What is he gonna do?" I looked over at the sub, but he wasn't looking at us and probably couldn't hear us over everyone.

"I don't know." Justin shrugged. "I heard my Mom coming down the hall before I could hear that."

"I hope he does and doesn't try to buy her out." I bit my lip. "Because if he does buy her out, then maybe they'll finally get a divorce, but if that happens-"

"Jessica could blame Mason or move somewhere else with him in tow." Justin finished my sentence.

"No wonder you don't want me telling Han and Mase." I sighed.

*****

"Which one are you?" A girl asked me as I unlocked Mason's locker after school.

"Excuse me?" I stared at her in confusion. I have no idea who the hell she is.

"Which twin are you?" She started talking to me like I was five. "Daddy's the Sex Ed teacher with a stick up his ass."

"And you fucking care, why?" I placed Mason's notebook on top of his other things and closed it.

"Stop being such a bitch." She rolled her eyes.

"You're the bitch." I told her before walking away.

"Sweetheart." Dad smiled at me when I left the hallway, but the smile faltered when he noticed what I was wearing. "Who's sweatshirt is that?"

"Mason's." I balled up the sleeves in my hands and hugged myself. "Are we able to go to the game?"

"No, it's over three hours away." He shook his head and went out to the parking lot.

"But it's the first game." I followed him out to the parking lot.

"And I said no." He unlocked the car.

"You let Hannah go to Justin's Away games." I felt myself getting angry.

"Get in the car, Hailey." Dad sighed and rubbed his forehead.

"I'm gonna go hang out with Han and make sure she doesn't try anything with Justin." I started walking away. "Heaven forbid either of us act like you and Mom did."   

***AN***

Hope you enjoyed! 

Let us know what you thought!

~ChasingMandess24 & BriannaVore