Chapter 43: Chase Down

I stood there for a moment in shock. I couldn't believe Mack had just left like that. Something had to be wrong.

"He's going after the Chinatown Crew. Tell May what happened," Daisy ordered, running towards Robbie's car, snapping my attention. "And if we ever get the chance, never tell your brother about this next part."

"Oh no," I said, running to the drivers side, reaching it before Daisy. "One, you're not going without me and two, there's no way you're driving Robbie's car."

Daisy sighed and quickly got into the passengers seat as I hopped into the drivers seat. I quickly backed up and sped chasing after Mack.

(Robbie's POV)

I saw Daisy run towards my car and stepped closer to it as she said something to Gabe about not telling me she took my car.

"Oh, no, we're way past that," Gabe said.

"What are you thinking? Don't go. If I'm being dragged down to hell, this might be my chance to take Eli with me," I said.

I was about to take the drivers seat when I realized I couldn't drive. I turned towards Daisy and frowned. I then saw Mia come up and put her hand on the door.

"There's no way you're driving Robbie's car," she said, taking the drivers seat.

I would've kissed her right then and there if I wasn't trapped in this state.

I took the back seat as Daisy took the passenger and Mia quickly sped away.

She quickly caught up with Mack.

"Pull over! What are you doing?!" Daisy shouted.

"What needs to be done! Don't get in my way!" Mack answered quickly turning into an alleyway, trying to lose us.

"Dang it, Mack!"

I felt a jerk as Mia quickly applied the breaks and turned. The side of my car scrapping the wall causing Mia to curse.

"It heals itself. Scientifically impossible self-healing car," Daisy reassured.

"That only works-" I started but Mia started talking.

"That was when Robbie was the Rider. If he isn't anymore, which we know he isn't because Mack is, it means it doesn't self heal!"

"That's right Mia," I said, wishing she could hear me.

"Wait how do you know-" Daisy started.

"I don't know how to explain it but I just sense what I felt with Robbie with Mack. It wasn't there before, but it's there now."

"So-"

We stopped at a traffic jam.

"So wherever Robbie is, he isn't the Rider which means he's dying," Mia finished and I noticed a small crack in her voice as she slammed her hand on the steering wheel, losing Mack.

"You're gonna let that stop you?" I asked. "Mia, we have to catch him, okay? Mack can't control that thing. This isn't over."

Mia quickly reversed the car heading in the other direction.

"Attagirl. That's more like it."

We drove until we hit an intersection.

I felt a pain in my chest and gripped the back on Mia's chair. "I'm running out of time. The Chinatown guys have a warehouse not far from here. Just go left, Mia. Mia, go left! Turn left! Turn left!" I shouted and the blinker turned on.

Mia and Daisy looked at each other quickly before Mia turned and looked at me. "Robbie?"

"Oh, I love this car. Now go! Go!"

~

We stopped at a building and I quickly ran out, hoping to find Mack.

"Fair enough," I heard Mack say.

"I can't help you," a voice said.

"Have fun."

"Please. I already told you where he is. What else do you want from me?"

" I want you to pay with your life."

"Hey! I shouted, catching Mack's attention. "Mack."

"No. You're smarter than that."

"You."

" I've been a voice in your head all these years. Now, finally, we get to speak face-to-face."

" I've wanted you gone. But our work isn't done. Eli is out there. We need to stop him."

""We"? There is no we. Your time is over."

"No, no, no. Please, don't kill me!" I begged. I wasn't ready to die yet. I didn't even tell Mia goodbye. "Stay. We had a deal. You still owe me vengeance."

"Your neighborhood is soaked in the blood I spilled for you."

"None of that matters if I don't take down the monster behind all of this Eli. He's my blood. He will meet me, too." I felt a pain again in my chest. "It's getting darker, like it's pulling us down. You can't hold on to Mack's body forever. He's a good man. He doesn't have vengeance in him."

"It's not ideal, but Mack He has a lot of pain. He lost hope. I could survive off his pain for years. I know where you're being dragged down to. I've escaped it before."

"Mack?" I heard Daisy say and I turned around, seeing Mia and Daisy. "You need to come with me."

"I'm never going back."

"Mack, don't do this. That's not you. You got to fight it."

"We made a deal. I ain't going nowhere," I said.

"I know."

"You're right. I won't survive this without you, but the truth is, you need me, too. We had a deal! How about a new one? Give me my vengeance on Eli. Settle my score, and I'll settle yours All of yours!"

(Mia's POV)

Mack fell to his knees and Daisy quickly ran up to him.

"Mack? What happened?" Daisy asked.

"Robbie, that that thing He took it out of me."

I looked around for Robbie but I didn't see him.

"Are you all right? Some of those things you said you You said you were in pain."

"No, it's just a rough day. I'm okay."

"Good. Where'd he take it?"

"Hell."

~

I sat in the car room, sitting on the hood of Robbie's car.

"Mack is still upstairs," Coulson said walking in. " I think he needs some time alone."

" Is he okay?"

"Don't know. Bad day."

I was hesitant to asked my next question. "And Robbie?" I whispered as Coulson leaned on the car.

"He pulled the Rider out of Mack, but-"

"He's gone," I said, confirming my fear.

"I'm sorry."

Coulson left and I crawled into Robbie's car and laid down. I wanted to preserve his memory as best I could. I wanted to cry but no tears came.

Robbie was gone.