Chapter Nine

"And that's how I died." Lance says.

There'a long pause between the two of them before Keith suddenly speaks.

"Are you saying. . .you like me?"

Silence.

"I JUST FREAKING TOLD YOU HOW I DIED AND THAT'S THE FIRST THING YOU SAY?!"

Keith blinks once, then twice. He shakes his head as if he had just snapped out of his thoughts. The next thing he does next is something he'll regret in a life time; he cries. Infront of Lance. Wherever he is.

"Keith? What's wrong? Why are you crying? Is there something that I've said?"

He sniffs, "No, just. . .it's kinda. . . sad."!

"That I died?"

"No, not that. You're annoying as fuck, good riddance."

Lance gasps and Keith imagines that he has placed a hand against his chest. Keith laughs out loud despite the the tears rolling down his cheeks.

"I'm just kidding. You know that, right?"

"I guess? Whatever. To be honest, I have the impression that you like to laugh and cry at the same time. It kinda creeps me out."

"Can't help it." He wipes his tears away. "But, yeah. It's kinda sad because all this time, I thought you were such a bad guy when all you were trying to do was to protect me. . .in your own asshole-ish way."

"Protect you? Pssh! I really just wanted to fight back against Andrew. Why would you—"

"Lance."

The ghost stops talking.

"Lance," Keith says again. "I'm sorry you had to go through that. Although I haven't met you long enough, but I'm really proud of you. No matter what shit was going on in your life, you go out of your way to help people, to help me. And now you're a ghost, seeking not revenge, but a proper burial with your loved ones as your witnesses. I thank you, Lance."

Silence.

Keith just sits there, staring at the other side of his bed, assuming that's where Lance is. He drops his gaze onto his lap when the silence stretches longer. He doesn't mind, because it's comfortable, and simply because he knows he's not alone this time. Simply because Lance is here, and knowing he was protecting him from Andrew, Keith feels his heart flutter inside his chest.

Suddenly, he feels a very cold presence touch his bruised left cheek. Like it was a hand. Keith's eyes widens when he feels another cold thing press against his lips. Like it was something very soft.

Like it was another pair of lips.

The short boy closes his eyes and relinguishes the odd yet satisfying feeling of cold air against his face. He can feel an electric bolt come running down through his veins and throughout his whole body and it feels fucking amazing. He has never felt more alive. And suddenly, it was gone. The cold lips moves away, aswell as the hand, and Keith feels a sense of sorrow and a wave of lonliness. Keith frowns at the ache in his heart.

"You're. . ." Lance starts in a small voice. ". . .You're so warm."

"And you're so cold."

"Fire and ice?"

"Fire and ice." Keith paused. "Just to be clear, you did just kiss me, right?"

"Oh, goddess. What kind of question is that?!"

"I don't know! Maybe it was just your thumb against my lips?!"

"Omg, you're blushing."

"What?"