Chapter Three

"Keith, where are you? Mark's shift is almost over. By the time he leaves, no one will be watching the register. You better be up and ready by now."

"Relax, Shiro. I'll be there in no time. I'm already a few blocks away. I gotta hang up now because I'm riding my bike. Safety first, am I right?"

"Alright. I'll be waiting. Be safe."

"Yeah, thanks. I'm already on my way. Bye."

"Good bye."

Keith hangs up.

"Shit! Shit!" He leaps up from his bed and runs towards the bathroom. Looking at the mirror, he grabs his tootbrush and toothpaste and notes how bad his bed head is. His hair looks like an untaimed animal, which is exactly what he is. Goddess, he gets his first job and is graced with a boss such as Shiro and this is what he repays him? Showing up late for work for how many times and oh, don't forget to mention LYING. On the way?! What were you thinking Keith?

"Shit!" He cursed under his breath.

He spits out then rinses his mouth. He splashed water on his face and ran back to his bedroom. Goddess, help him. He's a mess. Not long before summer ended and it has already been six weeks after school has started and he's already a wreck. Guess that's the life for a working student despite his Aunt Flora's money. He's gotta learn how to earn money for himself sooner or later.

Keith takes his shirt off and quickly puts a clean  binder on with much effort. Snatching a fresh pair of jeans and red checkered shirt, he tries to tame his bed head while putting on his clothes somehow.

After pulling and fumbling, Keith deems he is now suitable to go out. He shoves his feet into his pair of black boots, then grabs his shoulder bag and his bicycle helmet, and with a little more stumbling, he finally leaves.

"You're late, AGAIN." Shiro, his boss, says with both of his hands on his hips. "I knew I shouldn't have believed you when you said you were on your way."

Keith rolls his eyes as he unstraps his helmet off, "We're in the 21st century, Shiro. "On my way" doesn't exactly mean what it's supposed to mean."

"I figured."

The shorter boy looks around the café. Only a few customers are enjoying the sweet warm coffee at 6:09 am. Keith mentally notes that he has to go to school at exactly 8 am before his classes start.

"You're lucky," Shiro says, pointing a finger from his right prosthetic arm at Keith. "There are only a few customers at this time. You'll be in big trouble if it were busy hours."

"Well, I'm here now." He says while putting his apron and cap on. "You don't have to worry, bro. You can go back to your office to handle whatever business big bosses—"

The doors of the café opens and the chimes sounded. Keith freezes, leaving his sentence unfinished and his mouth hanging open.

Shiro frowns, "Keith? What's—?"

"Sshhh!! Duck!" He whispers frantically.

"What? Why are—?"

"Just duck!"

Keith yanks Shiro's hand to hide behind the counter. The older man stares at Keith in confusion for a few seconds before he finally speaks.

"What the hell is going on?"

"Uh, the people who just entered. . .I know them. They're from the University."

"So? Let's go and say hi." Shiro motions to stand up but Keith yanks him back down.