Chapter 10: Alex From Target (Hannah)

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

"You're my son's girl, aren't you?" He set the case of beer and a couple other miscellaneous items in front of me, giving me a quick once over from behind his tinted sunglasses.

"Oh, and you're the dick he has to call a father, right?" I whispered, glancing around to make sure nobody except the man in front of me had heard it. I needed this job, I couldn't get fired.

"Such a shame that my boy has introduced me in such a crude way." He handed me the money, finally removing his glasses again and revealing his piercing eyes. "And to hear such disgusting words leave a beautiful mouth." I bowed my head, biting lip until I tasted blood.

"Thanks for shopping at Target, come again soon." I said obnoxiously loud, not wanting to continue the conversation. My boss had appeared at the register behind us, her eyes narrowed.

"You should join us for dinner tonight, sweetie. I'm sure Justin would love that. Has he told you his great news?" I tried to keep a straight, professional face, but it seemed to get harder and harder the longer he waited for an answer.

"Great news?" I found myself questioning.

"Oh, I see. Well, he's been accepted back onto the team and has taken lead position. It seems that's he's also finally grown a pair, considering he still with someone that obviously has her head on straight." I bit my tongue, afraid I'd say something out of had in front of my boss, and forced a smile on my face.

"That's wonderful. Thank you, sir. Please come again." He took his bags and gave me a tight nod.

"Will you be joining us for dinner?" He questioned.

"Don't know, Mr. Davidson. I'll talk to Justin once I get off. Have a nice day." And by nice day, I mean I hope you get hit by a bus.

*

"What do you mean? Was he being a creep?" Sophia's eyebrows shot up, lips pursed.

"No, just a dick. I know he was trying to get a rise out of me." I replied, shoving another handful of Doritos into my mouth.

"Han, I. . . if I tell you something, can you promise not to tell anyone else? Especially Hailey." I nodded slowly, my eyes drifting sideways at the sound of her voice. She sounded as if she was about to start crying, but was doing everything in her power not to allow the tears out.

"Of course, Soph. What's going on? Guy issues?" I questioned. She looked away, her nails digging into the couch cushion.

"I guess you could say that." She whispered.

"What's wrong?" I set the bag of chips on the table and gave her my full attention.

"I. . . I had sex." She still wouldn't look me in the eyes.

"That's great!" I commented, then realized why she might be acting so distant, "Unless it's not. Is everything okay?" I watched as a stray tear escaped her eye and rolled down her pale cheek.

"Did someone-" I started.

"I had sex with Coach Fuller." I flew back against the arm of the couch, hissing in pain after a second. My best friend looked seconds from breaking down entirely, and seeing me reacting this way couldn't possibly be helping.

"Did he force-"

"No. I. . . we were just talking, and then we started flirting, and. . . and. .." She groaned, burying her face in her hands. "Mom is going to kill me. And what if he tells someone else and-"

"Soph, he's a staff member that had sex with an underage student, he's not going to tell anyone." I reached out and rubbed her shoulder. I opened my mouth to offer her more comforting words when my phone buzzed on my lap. I almost turned it off, but decided I better make sure it wasn't Justin trying to escape his father.