Chapter 16 "Mommy Dearest"

Start from the beginning

"You can't help someone who's already lost," She turned her cold gaze to Justin. "Right, druggie?"

Justin flinched and hung his head. I took two steps and was nose to nose with her. "You really call yourself a mother? How dare you?"

"Destiny-"

I didn't glance back at Justin and kept my eyes on her. "No, this needs to be said because she obviously hasn't heard it yet. Your son is suffering and yet you choose to mock him for it instead of helping him," I lowered my voice and narrowed my eyes. "Merissa and I called you here to help us help him, not to patronize him. So, if you have any type of heart, you'll help your son because he needs it. Grow up and, at least, try to be a mother."

She stared me down for a moment before she took a step back. "Let's go to the kitchen. I'm hungry."

Justin looked shocked for a moment before he slowly nodded. We followed after him and took a seat around the island. I picked Merissa up and sat her down on my lap.

"How bad is it?" She asked with a sigh.

Justin chewed on his bottom lip and tapped his fingers on the marble countertop. "My friends think it's bad enough that felt the need to call my mom."

Merissa and I looked up in alarm and he tilted his head at me. "What? Did you think I was dumb? My mom always calls me before she comes to let me know and Merissa would never call her willingly. It doesn't take a genius to guess it had something to do with you."

"I just-"

"Wanted to help me. Yeah, I know. What did you expect out of this? All she does is insult us and then leaves with a bottle of whatever she feels like drinking."

I huffed and puffed my chest out confidently. "We need you to hash this out with your mom. The both of you," I saw Justin begin to protest and I glared at him. "I'm not saying you have to kiss and make-up but you both need to close this door with your mom. Come to a decision. Tell her how you feel."

Ms. Delarosa sighed and got up. "I'm going to need a drink."

"Merissa can go first." Justin decided as he clenched his jaw.

"Ah, um," Her fingers twisted in her lap and I wrapped my arms around her. "I don't have any good memories of you. I like the things you send me but you're never here so they don't mean anything. I was really sad. Justin tries his best but, sometimes, he gets tired and he can't play with me anymore. I used to cry all time because I missed you a lot but, now, I have a lot of people who spend time with me and play with me," She smiled up at me. "I'm happier now."

Ms. Delarosa kept her face impassive but I could see the flitting emotions in her eyes. She turned to Justin and raised an eyebrow.

Justin let out a steady breath before he started to speak. "I've always hated this house. It was always so big and quiet because there was no one here. It never quite felt like home. It's one of the main reasons I started taking those pills. I was so tired of being tired and depressed. I wasn't taking care of Merissa like I was supposed to. I mean, I was in middle school. I wasn't supposed to be taking care of Merissa like she was my own child,"

"When I told you to take me to the doctor to see what was wrong with me, I remember that as the worst decision of my life. My second was taking those pills you gave me because, look, I'm a 'druggie', right?" I felt my throat constrict as the sight of Justin tearing up.

"Maybe if I didn't tell you that I thought something was wrong with me or if I didn't take those pills would my friends still look at me in disapproval every time they see my eyes are a bit more dilated than usual, would they insist on taking care of me because I can't fucking take care of myself, would they be spending all their time trying to help me, trying to get me to get help. But, I began to think if I didn't tell you, where would be today? Awhile back, I came to a conclusion. I would be dead," My heart sunk into the pit of my stomach and I closed my eyes.

"I would be fucking dead because I couldn't handle the silence, the thoughts, or why I couldn't do anything right. I would be so, so tired. I'm so tired, mom," A choked off sob was released from his trembling lips. "Why am I so-"

There was a screech of the stool against the floor and Ms. Delarosa had her son in her arms. She burrowed her face in her neck, crying quietly. I felt something wet hit my hand and I looked down to see Merissa crying as well. I put her down and pushed her in the direction of his family with a soft smile.

I watched as Merissa walked over and hugged her mother's waist, only for her mother to look down and laugh quietly then gather her up in her arms as well. Whispered Spanish filtered through the quiet kitchen and I slowly got off of the stool and left the kitchen, feeling as I was intruding on the intimate family moment.

-

"There you are."

I looked up and smiled at Justin who was approaching. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm feeling better. Lighter." He said as he sat down.

"Your mom?"

"She's fine. Sleeping with Merissa tonight. She has a lot to make up to us. I think she knows that as well." His lips twitched up into a smile as he looked at me.

Suddenly, he reached out and pulled me closer to where I practically on his chest. "Thank you, Destiny. I mean it."

I relaxed and shook my head. "I didn't do much. I just set up the meeting. I shouldn't take all the credit, either. Our friends helped as well."

He hummed. "I'll talk to them tomorrow," It was quiet for a moment. "I'm tired."

"Oh." I started to get up but he tightened his grip.

I looked up in confusion and my breathing stuttered as I noticed that his eyes were twinkling with a new light. "Stay?"

I hesitated before I slowly gave in. "Only for a little while."

He grinned and turned on the TV. "What do you want to watch?"

I shook my head and allowed myself to curl up at his side, giving him movie options. Maybe there was a light at the end of tunnel, after all.

---------------------

My God, this was such a plot heavy chapter. I haven't written this much since forever.

Oops, I lied. I said she was gonna be worse but yikes. But, to be fair, this is not how I imagined this chapter going. I'm interested to see how I will manuever around this development.