Chapter 30 "Love"

"Oh, look who it is!" Zay yelled as Justin appeared in view of the group.

Several people in the waiting room shot him dirty looks but all of us ignored them as we bathed in the excitement of Justin being released. I let go of Merissa and we joined everyone else forming a group hug in the middle of the room.

"I missed this so much." His words were muffled by the bodies surrounding him but we heard him anyway.

"We missed you! You've been doing so well." Drew pulled him in for a side hug and ruffled his hair.

Justin pushed him away playfully and grinned. We heard someone clear their throat and we turned to Justin's doctor. Justin smiled sheepishly at her and picked Merissa up, placing her on his hip.

"He's been doing very well but I would also like if he would resist any tiring activity," She sent a pointed look his way and he skillfully avoided it. "I trust that you'll take care of yourself, yes?"

"Yeah, I'll be alright," He smiled at all of us and kissed Merissa on her temple. "I've got my family with me."

Warmth traveled from my toes and fingertips to my chest making me feel giddy. The implication that we were included in his family made me feel some type of way and when I looked around...I could see everyone else felt the same.

We said our goodbyes to Justin's doctor and we were outside in the fresh air. I knew Justin enjoyed that the most.

Everybody watched Justin's face transform as he stepped outside and past the automatic doors. He slowly closed his eyes, tilting his head back in sunlight and inhaling.

I stood in a trance, almost in awe of him. I knew Justin looked anything but perfect in this moment. He had lost weight, his hair was unkempt, his complexion was pale, and he had bags under his eyes.

And yet...as I looked at him now...

The sunlight painting his skin in a blissful glow and the look of peace on his face burned itself into my memory.

I couldn't help but think he looked the best in this moment. Happiness and freedom looked the best on him.

"Are you ready to go?" I asked softly, ghosting my fingertips down his free arm.

He slowly opened his eyes, staring up at the sky for a moment before meeting my eyes. "Yeah."

-

"You feeling up for a celebration, buddy?" Orlan asked in the car and Chris and I exchanged a glance.

He could at least have a bit more tact.

"Sure. I'm feeling decent." Justin replied nonchalantly.

"Excellent. To the park, Zay!" Orlan cheered and Zay smirked.

"Way ahead of you."

In less than 10, we were at Milestone Park. It felt like forever ago that I was here. "Wow..."

"What?" Izzy asked.

I shook my head fondly. I briefly wondered where Keana and Cameron were doing right now but I decided to just call them later. "Just reflecting."

I felt a tug on my hand and looked down into Merissa's big eyes. "Come to the playground with us?"

I looked up and saw Justin looking at me expectantly. "Okay."

I glanced back at Izzy and she smirked. "Don't worry about us. We'll set up the picnic."

I let myself get pulled to the playground and climbed to the top of tower. Merissa let go giggling as she sat down on the slide. "Push me!"