Chapter 23 "Should've Known"

My heart was racing as I banged on Justin's door. I began to panic after a few minutes had went by with no answer.

I cursed and grabbed the spare key hidden in the yard, opening the door in a haste. I ran to The Cave and I looked around the dark room.

At first, it seemed like it was empty but, after another look, I noticed the small form under a blanket. My fingers twitched as I stepped forward and touched the form. "Merissa?"

The blob flinched and shook silently. I swallowed thickly and slowly pulled back the blankets. Merissa was still curled in on herself, cheeks ruddy and damp by tears. She opened her puffy red rimmed eyes and I gasped out solemnly. "I'm so sorry."

Her face pinched as she fought another wave of tears but let out a wet cough, instead. I pulled her into a tight hug and cradled her in my lap. "This is all my fault."

She hiccupped. "N-no, we j-just wanted to h-help him."

My lips pursed. "And look where that got us."

She tightened her grip on my shirt and I rubbed her back soothingly. "I wish you didn't have to grow up like this. You don't deserve it."

She didn't respond as she laid her head on my chest and hiccupped. I kissed her forehead and noticed that it seemed like she was running a fever. I frowned down at her, thinking carefully.

I could take her to my house and  come back for Justin but...

My frown deepened as the seriousness of the situation became clear.

Justin or Merissa?

I bit my bottom lip and stood up with Merissa in my arms. She coughed again and I winced. I need to act fast.

I hurried to the kitchen and swung the refrigerator door open, scanning the contents for medicine. I grabbed the Tylenol as soon as I saw it and checked to see if it was for kids.

It was.

I let out a breath of relief and sat Merissa up on the counter. She whined as I held her head up. "I need you to work with me, baby. Then you can sleep all you want and this nightmare will be over, okay?"

She looked at me and I held the measurement cup up questioningly. She reluctantly opened mouth and swallowed it without complaint. "Atta girl."

I put it down and took Merissa back to the room. I laid her down on the couch and ran a hand through her hair. "I'll be back, okay?"

"Promise?"

"Promise."

She closed her eyes and I left the room once again. This time heading for Justin's room.

I exhaled slowly outside of his door and pushed his door open. I immediately took in the sight of the destruction. The dresser was knocked over, books were ripped and paper was scattered across the floor, shards of glass from a broken beer bottle took their place among the paper on the floor, two more beer bottles were found across the room, and the TV was knocked on the floor.

I looked over at Justin's form on the bed who was humming happily, swinging a half empty bottle within his grasp by the side of the bed with his eyes closed.

I stepped further into the room and his humming slowly trailed off into silence. I was tense as he rolled over and opened his eyes, meeting my gaze. I immediately knew he had taken the pills.

"Do you see it?" He asked.

"Do I see what?" I replied hoarsely.

He giggled and sat up, taking a gulp of his beer. "The mess that I am."