Chapter nine

I woke up, still on the couch, and extremely early. It was a good thing though. I had more time to figure out how to relive all the stress I was feeling and sure going to feel today. I sent a silent prayer out for Gloria.

I got up, trying not to disturb Sonny, and went to the kitchen table and looked out the window again.

It was almost still dark out, but there was just enough light to see the early groups of New Yorkers begin to fill up the street for early jobs and meetings.

Maybe some people were heading home to surprise a family member. Or maybe someone was trying to look for a fresh start, and thought Manhattan would be the perfect place.

Maybe someone was running away, and knew that this was the best time to leave. What if they were just all leaving?

My thoughts were interrupted by someone entering the kitchen with me, then banging their foot on a chair that was out too far.

"Damn it!" Sonny cried as he stumbled inside.

"Are you okay?" I asked as he stumbled to a chair to the left of me.

"Yeah. Still too tired to feel things yet," he responded.

"If your so tired, just go back to bed," I suggested.

He exhaled loudly.

"Wish I could," he said, "but Lieutenant just texted me saying to be at the precinct with your mom and you in an hour. Gloria's going undercover today she says," he explained to me.

"I know," I said. "Very stressful."

"You don't have to worry," he said, getting a bit more awake now. "It'll be fine, and well get him to change the date. The all we have to do is move in there."

"Everything is easier said then done," I responded, "especially when you're dealing with psychos who think it's okay to attempt to rape thirteen year old writers and expect them to be thankful and show you respect and steal your journal to say that," I rambled, growing more angry with each word.

"Listen up, Jess. Your mom will be up in minute. She's really stressed about you, so just take a easy today, okay?"
He asked, rubbing his eyes.

"Your right. I'm so sorry for being assaulted in my school bathroom. I'm wrong, right? Right," I said, and got up.

"Jesse I didn't mean it like that," he said, attempting to clean up the mess he just made.

"No it's fine. Totally fine," I said as I stormed out and into my room to get changed.

I heard him curse to himself, before storming out himself.

I internally whimpered and closed my door behind me.

I picked out some jeans and a t shirt with my NYPD sweatshirt and my old black converse. I just put my hair in a small braid and left.

I saw my mom up and getting ready while Sonny made up the couch, glancing at me, hesitantly glancing at my mother who was also staring at me.

"Jesse where were you this morning?" She asked me, "you weren't in my room when I woke up."

I looked at Sonny who was already looking at me.

"I got up early," I said, leaving out my encounter with Sonny.

God I hated how I was being so dramatic over something so stupid. I knew he meant no harm to me.

"Okay?" She said, sensing the tension in the room.

She quickly changed her face to a more happy one and asked, "how are you feeling?"

"Good," I responded, "I just needed some time to rest."

"You feel up to coming down to the precinct with us?" She asked, "Gloria told Olivia that she'd feel better if you were there. You know, for support," she explained to me.

I really didn't want to go. Just hearing the voice again will make me sick.

"And Noah will be there," she added, "he's going to see if he can make a voice ID and then when we bring him in, all three of you will make a face ID," she said.

"But you're not on the case, so You can't be there," I said.

"Look, I hate this as much as you do, but there's nothing I can do. Family cases are like that. I'm sorry Jesse," she said, looking just as pissed off as I was.

"I know you can't help it," I said, glancing at Sonny who was glancing at mom. "But it still sucks."

She huffed out on me, letting me know she was growing impatient. "Just come to the car. I want to talk to you," she said, then looked at Sonny. "Alone for a minute."

He gave her a quick and understanding nod.

"Just don't take too long. Liv doesn't want us late. Especially not today," he reminded her before walking off.

Without another word, we went to our car together.

We stood there for a second before she begun.

"So where were you this morning?" She asked me, repeating her question from earlier.

"I told you, I got up early," I said, not wanting her to know about my little argument, or even my talk with Sonny.

"Come on Jess. You pull that the day before and your expect me to believe you. What's bothering you?" She asked, sensing my discomfort.

"But I was," I said, defending myself.

"But you weren't," she said back.

I looked at her for a minute before talking again.

"But I wasn't," I sighed, not wanting to test her.

"I know," she said, "what were you doing?"

"I was talking to Sonny for a while last night, and I fell asleep on the couch and then got up early," I said, leaving out our argument.

"Okay, now why was that so hard? You didn't do anything," she said, placing a gentile hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah, I don't know," I said, "let's go. We're running late," I said.

"Alright. We'll talk more tonight," she said.

"We don't have to," I said, "I'm okay now."

"Are you sure?" She asked, "I don't want you to be upset."

"I'm sure," I said.

"Okay," she said, and walked into the apartment to get Sonny.

I quietly walked into my car and sat down in silence.

I knew I only had about 1 minute for myself, so I was going to make the best out of this.

"Dear God, please let today go well, and if Gloria does it okay, let this guy be put away, and let him deserve what he deserves. Please let me heal from this whole experience and let Gloria heal as well," I said, then paused for a minute.

"And let Sonny forgive me for being immature and over dramatic with him. I didn't mean to."

As soon as I finished my prayer, the front door opened, and in walked Sonny and mom, both with serious looks on their faces.

"Olivia just called," mom said, "Gloria is missing."