Chapter, 20, Special Guest

The large party room GuHai had booked for the event was already packed by the time his special guest arrived.  

There were probably three hundred people in attendance.  Most of them employees from both GuHai's and his Uncle's offices.  UncleGu had some family of his own there too.  His wife's sister and her husband,  their children and there were other friends as well.

YouQi's and Meng's parents' shared a car,  the boys had travelled with Yin and GuHai,  it had just pulled up, their car was right behind Mr and Mrs Bai,  who when they stepped out of the car,  both turned and held out their hands' to Mai.  Absolutely resplendent in his custom-made tuxedo,  his smile showed that he was excited and feeling pretty "fly" in his flashy new outfit.

Auntie had slicked Mai's hair back and it was folded to one side.  Perfectly shiny and every hair in place,  it was styled the way GuHai did his when he was going to the office,  Mai whined until she got it just right.

From out of nowhere,  GuHai swept him up and his glossy little shoes were hanging as he sat on his big brother's forearm.  "Here's my special guest,  I've been waiting for you."  He reached and pinched the bottom of Mai's chin.  Mai wrapped his arms around GuHai's neck and squeezed,  it appeared that being the "special guest" was an honour even a child could get excited about.

With his famously brilliant smile,  GuHai directed the newly arrived guests to follow him inside and to the head table.  

Mai was sitting on his right,  followed by Auntie and UncleBai,  then Mr and Mrs You.  Meng and YouQi were there too.   Yin was on his left, next to him,  UncleGu and his family were seated further left.

BaiLouYin looked out at all the faces staring in their direction,  none of which he knew.  He was kept up to date with most things pertaining to GuHai's business but seeing all the faces brought to light how much the little empire had grown in such a short time. 

The merrymaking began with a fleet of waiters' and waitress's making their way onto the floor of the large and beautifully dressed room,  each carrying a big tray of mixed foods.  All the tables were set so that the guests faced in the same direction,  toward the long table of GuHai and his family,  theirs looking back. 

The trays of food were placed strategically so that every four or five people would share,  a very traditional Chinese way of eating,  sharing.

The drink glasses were already full and,  kept full by that same fleet of staff.  

While all this was happening,  UncleGu Stood and went to a microphone set up just behind GuHai.  He welcomed everyone and thanked them for attending the opening and launch of his and his nephew GuHai's newest undertaking.

He talked for a few moments about how much careful planning it had taken and how they were sure of success.  He spoke about all the people in front of him,  their employees,  and, how they were valued and responsible for the prosperity the company was already having.  He credited them and promised them that they would share in the achievements that this new industry would bring.

With a great round of applause,  he turned the microphone over to GuHai.

GuHai stood and lifted Mai from his chair,  resting him in the same spot on his arm as earlier.

He bent into the mic,  his public speaking skills slightly less polished than his Uncles,  he reiterated his Uncle's thanks to everyone and then introduced his little brother Mai.

An even more ruckus applause was given for the big smiles shared between the two brothers as GuHai proudly held Mai for all to see.

"Mai here,"  pointing at the boy's chest,  "is my special guest tonight,  I hope that one day this will all be his."  GuHai swung his hand out to his side and at the large draped wall behind him.