Chapter 6, Developments

Yin was a little apprehensive about returning to school on Monday.  GuHai, on the other hand, was his self.  Peddling the bike talking and teasing Yin as he always did.  When they reached the school,  he parked the bike and made his way up the stairs swinging his head back and forth in that sexy swagger that always was kind of a turn on for Yin.  He never told GuHai this,  but it was.

Yin took a deep breath,  straightened his shoulders and pushed his chest out.  He was determined to not let anyone's comments or stares influence him.  

They walked in and took their seats.  "So far so good."  

Meng and YouQi had pushed their desks together and were chatting quietly over a book they had in front of them.  They turned at the same time and both said good morning to the new couple.  Yin didn't want to show his surprise at the fact that they seemed unaltered.

The door at the front of the classroom opened and a new teacher walked in.  He placed his briefcase beside the desk on the floor,  turned and took the chalk,  he wrote his name on the blackboard.  Mr.Xiang.  He gave no explanation as to what happened with the previous teacher but instead introduced a new student,  his son.  XiangJunjie,  Jun for short.

Mr.Xiang waved and directed his son to step in the classroom.  He was standing just outside the door and seemed to be hesitating.  

Slowly Jun walked in and stood at the front of the class.  He introduced himself again and asked that his classmates take care of him.  

Every boy in the room was floored.  If they said they weren't they were lying.

Jun was so tall that he had to bend his neck to clear the doorway.  Athletic,  with clear pale skin and long shiny black hair that rested on his broad muscled shoulders.  It was cut in a very "big city" fashionable way.  His eyes were bright and even from a distance, they could be seen as blue,  a piercing icy blue.  They settled unmoving on GuHai,  he held his stare for what seemed like an eternity,  until,  his father directed him to take the seat next to GuHai at the back of the room.  He moved like an elegant cat as he passed through the desks and took his seat.  His steps were so broad it seemed to take only three of them to cover the distance.  His legs were so long that he had to spread them in what looked like a very uncomfortable fashion in order to sit.  They just wouldn't fit under the small desk.

He took his hand and moved his long silky hair behind his right ear as he turned and looked at GuHai in the desk next to him.  "Hello."

"Ah,  yes,  hello."  GuHai pushed the words out with effort.

Yin looked back over his shoulder,  for two reasons.  One,  he couldn't believe the colour of this young man's eyes,  and two,  he was stunned at this boys marked attention to GuHai.

YouQi did the same,  only to get a good stiff slap in the back of the head by Meng.  YouQi turned back and the two were whispering between themselves.  Their shoulders were pressed together and hunched over.

There was nothing remarkable about the new teacher.  He simply did his job with no real interest in anyone in the room.  He was flat and boring.  He left the class several times during the day with no explanation or indication as to how long he would be gone.  Meng said that he saw him standing outside having a cigarette.  

At lunch, Yin made a point of sitting next to GuHai.  Meng and YouQi had invited Jun to sit with their group at the table they always took in the cafeteria.  

They had slept in this morning and didn't have time to make a bagged lunch for themselves so GuHai had purchased lunch and brought the two trays to the table.  Jun had also paid for his lunch and stood right next to GuHai in the line-up.  Yin watched closely as he tried to chat with GuHai and was altogether too close.