Chapter Five: The Ladder to Heaven

The day finally came. A huge party was being held at the docks with all the people involved in the project, the media had decided to come along for the festivities. Ciel stood proudly next to the Twelfth Knight, appropriately named in honour of Eleanor. The Mist-jets were the biggest anyone had ever seen, the size of the four jets alone were enough to make Ciel proud. Francoise hadn't seen the vehicle standing upright yet, even he was in awe of its size. The tall white rocket stood taller than most of the towers in the small port town.

"This thing looks huge, how is it that it can only hold four people?" he asked,

"The majority of it is going to break off and fall into the mist when we're at a certain height," Ciel beamed, he was so proud of his machine, "the cockpit is in the middle, by the time we reach a certain altitude the only thing that will be left will be the four jets, our little cockpits, and the carrier sails."

Francoise looked dumbfounded,

"I could've explained it in greater detail if you didn't ask me so last minute. Are you starting to get cold feet Francoise?"

"No, of course not."

Lucille wheeled Ada in through the crowd, she seemed tired, pushing a wheelchair was simply to draining for someone with such a frail figure. Ada look at Ciel and then up to the Twelfth Knight. She was impressed. Ciel could tell. She was definitely impressed.

But this wasn't about impressing Ada. It wasn't about technology or science, or anything like that. He hadn't lost his focus. The ship wasn't the only thing he'd been working on. The radio was now loaded with much more information, more spells to decipher, a clearer receiver. He'd been tuning it up for the last nine months without rest.

This was it.

He ran up to Ada and knelt next to her.

"Ada! How're you feeling? You ready?" he said,

"She's been awake all day, more responsive," said Lucille,

"Ada, I'll finally be able to give you a voice!" he noticed one of the lead engineers in the corner of his eye, "oh damn, is it time already? Looks like we need to suit up!"

A figure of speech. Despite wearing patches with the Melchiezedek flag and strapping on certain breathing apparatus for the lighter air, there wasn't any need for a uniform. After little over an hour, Ciel and the others found themselves sat in the small cockpit, they looked down at the docks, waiting for the lead engineers signal. It was going to be a complex process; very little was automated, Ciel would have to time every single step of the ships ascension to perfection. He was nervous, but in a good way.

He could see the engineer lift his hand. And then down it went.

Perfect.

As the crowd disassembled Ciel pulled the lever to engage the two jet engines in the front. The ship tilted back off the port and into the mist. He slowly turned on the other two jets, pushing the ship upwards and away from the dock. The ship slowly ascended. Higher, and higher, and higher.

"Ciel, perhaps you should rethink this!" Francoise was trembling,

"Calm down Francoise, I'm trying to concentrate!" Ciel grit his teeth. He needed to time things right.

He disengaged the upper compartment, it fell into the clouds below. The ship started to gain speed.

"My ears hurt," said Lucille. Perhaps the first time she had said something unprovoked,