Chapter 22.5

She said, looking down at the ground, ashamed of her confession.

"Broke?  There's no way...."

"There is when your father makes poor business deals and assets are frozen.  I have no way to get any money in my accounts because they are all attached to my father.  According to the lawyers, the Panama Papers investigation could take years to clear the money in my trust fund that I was supposed to receive when I turn twenty-five."

"Odette, I'm so sorry.  I had no idea, this is a terrible situation.  I don't mean to be rude, but how does it involve me?" I asked unsure of my role in this mess.

"Logan, you know Odette is well-educated and comes from good breeding.  There's got to be something we can do to help her.  I'm not saying we buy her a house or give her money.  Odette is far too proud to accept charity, but you've got a lot of connections," Mom interjected.

"Why didn't you tell Dad about this?" I asked my mom.

"I'm trying to follow the doctor's orders and help keep him out of stressful situations.  You know if he knew about this investigation, he would blow up," she replied.

"That's a good idea, but I don't know where we'd put someone with advanced degrees in science and medicine in our company.  I'm just not sure how to help," I replied knowing there wasn't anything for her with HPG.

"You know, Logan, I know someone who was in a very similar situation as Odette," Rory said only loud enough for me to hear.

"Oh, really.  Who's that, Ace?"

"Paris," she whispered.

"I remember now.  The crappy apartment with the 'doo-wop' group that lived downstairs.  That seems like a lifetime ago," I replied thinking of how I hated that Rory lived there.

"I think I remember her saying something about possibly expanding her business.  Could Odette possible handle someone like Paris?  We both know she's not the easiest to get along with...."

I turned my attention back to Mom and Odette.  "Let's put out some feelers outside of the publishing group.  A friend of ours may be looking to expand her business and it falls under Odette's expertise.  I can't guarantee anything, but give us some time.  Until then, my mom can see to your needs.  We've got some properties available for you, on a short-term basis."

I wasn't sure if the Paris option would pan out, but it was our strongest possibility.  I hoped this would appease them both for the time being until I could figure out something more concrete.  I had nothing against Odette.  We just didn't work together, and through no fault of her own.  She just wasn't Rory.  I couldn't get Ace out of my head, and I don't think I ever could if I had to live without her.

"Merci beaucoup, Logan!  This is more than I could have ever asked for.  I thought your mom was crazy to even suggest talking to you!  I really didn't want to bother you, especially on your honeymoon.  You have always been one of the kindest people I know," she said and turned to my wife.  "Rory, you are a very lucky woman!  I only hope I can find what you two have."

Odette had been put in a terrible situation, and she wasn't a bad person.  I wanted to help her because she deserved better than her father's poor decision-making.  She was an intelligent, capable person.  I walked Odette and my mom out.  I saw the relief and gratitude on her face.  I couldn't help but wonder if our business deal was more about her father wanting security for his daughter.  He had to know this was coming, and now they are all paying the price.  Our world was a fickle one, and people would turn their backs on you in a heartbeat to save their own asses.  That wasn't the kind of person I was, and a lot of that was due to Rory's influence many years ago.