Chapter 22

She said, looking down at the ground, ashamed of her confession.

"Broke?  There's no way..."

"There is when your father makes poor business deals and assets are frozen.  I have no way to get any money in my accounts because they are all attached to my father.  According to the lawyers, the Panama Papers investigation could take years to clear the money in my trust fund that I was supposed to receive when I turn twenty-five."

"Odette, I'm so sorry.  I had no idea, this is a terrible situation.  I don't mean to be rude, but how does it involve me?"

"Logan, you know Odette is well-educated and comes from good breeding.  There's got to be something we can do to help her.  I'm not saying we buy her a house or give her money. Odette is far too proud to accept charity, but you've got a lot of connections," Shira interjected.

"Why didn't you tell Dad about this?"

"I'm trying to follow the doctor's orders and help keep him out of stressful situations.  You know if he knew about this investigation, he would blow up," she replied.

"That's a good idea, but I don't know where we'd put someone with advanced degrees in science and medicine in our company.  I'm just not sure how to help," Logan replied.

"You know, Logan, I know someone who was in a very similar situation as Odette," I said, only loud enough for him to hear.

"Oh, really.  Who's that, Ace?"

"Paris."

"I remember now.  The crappy apartment with the 'doo-wop' group that lived downstairs.  That seems like a lifetime ago," he replied.

"I think I remember her saying something about possibly expanding her business.  Could Odette possibly handle someone like Paris?  We both know she's not the easiest to get along with...."

Logan turned his attention back to women sitting across from us.  "Let us put out some feelers outside of the publishing group.  A friend of ours may be looking to expand her business and it falls under Odette's expertise.  I can't guarantee anything, but give us some time.  Until then, my mom can see to your needs.  We've got some properties available for you, on a short-term basis."

"Merci beaucoup, Logan!  This is more than I could have ever asked for.  I thought your mom was crazy to even suggest talking to you!  I really didn't want to bother you, especially on your honeymoon.  You have always been one of the kindest people I know," she said, turning to me.  "Rory, you are a very lucky woman!  I only hope I can find what you two have."

She seemed like a sincerely nice person.  I know she did nothing wrong and was merely a part of the two families' business deal.  I tried to remind myself to keep from feeling awkward.  I did hope we could help her out of this unfortunate situation.  Logan showed them out of our suite.  She looked grateful for our help.

"I can't help but wonder if Odette's dad didn't know things were going downhill and wanted to make sure she was taken care of financially," I blurted out to Logan after he came back to the couch.

"I was thinking the same thing, Ace.  My breaking off the engagement wiped out the safety net.  Although, if my father caught wind of any of this, the engagement would have been off.  It was a business merger, not a relationship.  I don't know how Mitchum was in the dark about the poor business dealings.  Odette's father must have hid it very well," Logan replied.

"The secrets must have been buried well," I said, pausing for a moment.  "I really do want to help her.  She's just a pawn in a losing chess match.  It's not her fault."

Reflecting their own light: Rory and LoganOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara