.8 // Birthday

I'm standing at the altar, dressed in all white, holding hands with my soon-to-be husband, Aleksandr. My smile is spread wide across my face as I look deep into his mesmerizing eyes, sliding the band on his finger, repeating every words being fed to me.

"I, Flora Louise Kieran, take you Aleksandr Vitalyevich Marchant, to be my husband, my partner in life and my one true love." The ring inches further.

"I will cherish our friendship and love you today, tomorrow, and forever I will trust you and honor you I will laugh with you and cry with you." My gaze stays focused on his hand.

"I will love you faithfully Through the best and the worst, Through the difficult and the easy. What may come I will always be there." The ring is fully on. I shift my gaze back to his face.

"As I have given you my hand to hold So I give you my life to keep So help me God." I smile.

He opens his mouth, taking a deep breath, ready to recite his vows-

"Flora." Aleks' voice floods my dreams. I stir awake and realize he is gently shaking me, his hand on my shoulder as he coaxes me awake. I turn my head and my eyes meet his. I smile. "Good morning, sleeping beauty. We need to get to work. I made breakfast. Come eat, darling." He says, holding my hand.

I sit up and stretch, allowing him to pull me from the bed. I follow him from the bedroom to the kitchen, embracing the smell of pancakes and some fruit. There's a plate of two pancakes and berries sitting on the bar. I sit and start digging in with the fork. These are literally the best pancakes ever. "You're such and amazing cook." I say, stuffing my mouth.

He smiles. "Thanks." He replies, leaning over and stealing one of my blueberries.

"What the fuck!" I yell, widening my eyes. I playfully stab him with my fork as he snickers and runs away. I finish my food before rinsing the plate and placing it in the sink.

"Babe, I woke you up a little early. I'm sorry. Why don't you draw a nice bath or whatever you do to relax." He says, walking back into the kitchen. A puzzled look crosses my face.

"Aleksandr, why are you being so nice to me?" I question. He approaches me and wraps me in his arms.

"Because it's your birthday. And, I love you and you should be spoiled anyways." He smiles. He leans down and plants his lips on mine. I return the gesture and smile back. I snake myself from his arms.

"Oh yeah. I just never care enough about that. Thank you, baby. I love you." I reply, walking up the stairs and into the bathroom. I run some warm water and drop some soap in to make bubbles. I put my hair into a ponytail and look at myself in the mirror. I sigh and turn away, turning the faucet off and getting in the water.

I've never been especially fond of my body. I never liked it. I wasn't oddly proportioned nor did I have many imperfections. I thought I was lucky, yet I still found small things to dwell on. I shouldn't be dwelling on anything. Many other women would be jealous of my body and my skin, but everyone is insecure, truthfully. How Aleks looked past that, I have no idea, but he still loved me no matter what, and that's all that matters.

I soak in the water for a few minutes, before Aleks knocks on the door. "Babe?" He asks.

"Yes?"

"You should hurry. I have your present." He replies. I could hear the excitement in his voice.

I sigh. "I told you not to get anything," I mutter to myself. "But okay! I'll be right out!" I reply. I undo the plug holding the water in the tub and let it drain before stepping out. I dry myself off and wrap a towel around my torso. I open the door and walk to the bedroom, pulling out a sleeveless floral print dress and some pink combat boots. I braid my hair back and walk downstairs and into the living room where Aleks is sitting on the couch. I sit down next to him.

Aleks is holding a small, blue rectangular box with a darker shade of blue ribbon tied around it. "Happy birthday, Flora." He says, handing me the box. I undo the ribbon and take it off. I slide the lid off to reveal a silver chain with a circle charm with two gems inside the circle, a blue and green one.

"Is this...?" I question, taking it out of the box and examining the jewelry closer.

"Yes, it's an emerald and a sapphire, our birthstones. I know you love emeralds anyways and I wanted you to have some sort of reminder of me on you at all times so I gave you the sapphire." He replies. I smile. My mom was also born in September.

"This is beautiful, Aleks. I love it. Will you put it on?" I say, handing it to him. He nods and takes it from my hands. I turn around and move my braid as he places it on my neck, securing it behind me. I pull the camera up on my phone, admiring it on my collarbone.

"It looks even better on you, Flora." He says, kissing my neck.

"Thank you so much."

"Of course, baby. I knew I needed to get you something. I thought of this and it worked beautifully. I'm glad you like it. You'll get your second present later." He says, winking.

"Wow. I cannot believe you." I say, shaking my head. "But, okay, Aleks. I'll be waiting."

He smiles. He gazes around the living room and I follow his gaze, settling on the photos of us from various occasions. Some are photos of us from shoots, others are just random selfies, and some are the professional photos we took for our engagement (yes, we went there). But, they looked so much better than the photos of Steven and I. Those left a long time ago.

Aleks' hand snakes into mine. He looks at me. "I love you, Flora." He blurts out.

I squeeze his hand. "I love you too, Aleks."