Love With Your Heart

Start from the beginning

"What a curious town! What a shocking place! Was it a mistake to have come here?" He tossed the contract on the table and started to pace around. I slowly looked up from the piano as he continued to sing, "To be on display in that shameless way for the outlandish, ghastly people here. Why do they dare to treat us so?"

Sweet, little Gustave was oblivious to his father's stress that he sang with music box in hand, "Father dear, come play with me, come and see this toy I've got-"

I slightly jumped when Raoul sat down in the chair with a thud. Christine stopped her writing and looked at her husband with concern. As empathetic as I was to is stress, I couldn't help feel relieved that wasn't the hurtful, drunken man from the musical. Still, the stress was starting to diminish Raoul's health and this caused Christine great worry for her husband. He ran his hand through his hair as he continued to look at the papers.

"What a snob at most. From our so-called-host. Did he think sending freaks would be helpful? Could the fool have thought that our pride was bought by his desperate American money?" As Raoul continued on his musical rant, I slowly looked at the aria that I was supposed to practice for tomorrow's rehearsal. I was trying to concentrate, but all I could hear was Raoul. "What a farce! What an outright slap in the face - it could be a disgrace - I've got a mind to pack and go, if I could forget the debts we owe - How could I let us sink this low?"

"Father, please, come play with me-"

Raoul turned to his son and on a loud note, answered, "I'm sorry, son, the answer's no!"

The room went silent. Christine softly gasped at the brief outburst while Gustave looked like he was about to cry. Raoul instantly realized what he was done and closed his eyes before he knelt in front of his son. It was so clear how much he loved his son. He never raised his voice at Gustave before. The job of being a manager was so much work, even more so when money was this tight. He did not mean to lose his temper. With a gentle voice, Raoul said, "I am so sorry, Son. I did not mean to raise my voice. Please forgive me." Gustave looked at the music box in his hands before slowly nodding his head.

Christine placed her journal on the writing desk before she walked over to her husband and son. As she comforted her family, I looked back at the piano. I recognized one of the music sheets and placed my fingers on the keys to softly play the melody. I paused for a moment when I heard Raoul clearing his throat and returned to the table looking through his files.

"No, please continue, Brieanna. Sometimes the music soothes my head," Raoul said softly. I looked back at the piano and couldn't stop myself from asking for forgiveness. Raoul looked up, confused, and asked, "What are you apologizing for? You have done nothing wrong."

"I know how busy you've been as my manager and with my accident on the boat... I don't want you to work yourself to death."

Raoul stared at me, unable to find words to ease my mind, before looking back at the files. I sighed before looking to Christine. She smiled at me, then walked over to her husband. With a magic touch, she started to give Raoul a shoulder massage. Raoul's stressful expression slowly turned into calm and relaxed.

"Please, let's not fret, dear... I'm sure that no one intended a slight, dear," Christine whispered in song to him.

Raoul sighed before he touched his wife's hand. "No need to coddle me. It's my fault we came here."

"We need the money, that's all," I sang in reply. "And I've dreamed to singing in stage here."

"My girls, how do you never place the rightful blame here?"