Chapter 10

"One wrong move, Composer, and I'm taking her with me."

My eyes widened as I felt my heart stop completely. My wings were spread out uncomfortably and my hands were confined at my sides as his arm was wrapped securely around my waist. Nikolai pressed the blade further into my neck, just above the collar and I felt the prick of the cool metal on my neck as a drop of blood flowed down my neck. Joshua stopped, his expression unreadable from where I was. Nikolai took a step back, forcing me to go back with him.I nearly stumbled, being weak from before.

"If you know what's best, you'll end your life here," Nikolai said to Joshua. I shook my head at Joshua, mouthing the word 'no'. "Quiet dear," Nikolai mumbled threateningly into my ear. My adrenaline was racing throughout my body. Taking my chances, I took my knee and tried to kick his out from under him, but he was quicker and jumped back, so I twisted my body, squirming in his grip. I managed to free an arm, elbowing him in the stomach. As he was distracted, I jumped back and held my hands out, with the palm of one hand on the back of the other. They were glowing a white, blinding color as a ball of light shot out of them. Nikolai dove out of the way and snapped his fingers. I fell to the ground in pain again as a shock erupted from the collar, forcing me to my knees. I barely recognized when Joshua was at my side, kneeling down next to me. The pain in my neck, however, refused to cease and I had to refrain from reaching for it. The pain was so unbearable that I couldn't scream and Joshua held his hand out like he had done before and attempted to destroy the collar but it didn't work and only caused him to be blown back a couple of feet. Nikolai's laughter cut through the air like a knife. The ringing in my ears was now becoming more intense until it finally stopped as soon as Joshua was away.

"I told you. I'm the only one who can take it off!" Nikolai laughed as if it was amusing to him to see me in pain like this, unable to be with Joshua. "I've had enough entertainment from you though," Nikolai said, turning towards Joshua with a sadistic grin on his face. "I have no more reason for you to be here, and I'm sure (Y/n) here will be fine with seeing you die in front of her." The pain finally stopped and I was certain there was a burn around my neck. I looked up towards Nikolai and Joshua with what little strength I had. Nikolai dashed side to side as he rushed Joshua, who levitated above him, allowing him to sprint fast. Both of them raised their hands, summoning their own attacks which flew through the air and crashed mid-air. The affect from the crash caused both of them to be pushed back, but the both of them quickly recovered, prepared to unleash another attack. Nikolai spun around, sending black feathers flying through the air razor fast. They stuck into the wall right behind me and thinly sliced my cheek. I held a hand up to it and pulled it up to my eyes to see a warm, red liquid. Joshua reacted by levitating and quickly resuming ground attacks when the feathers with edges like a knife's blade zoomed towards him.

Both Nikolai and Joshua were quick to attack again, unleashing a flurry of attacks that I could barely follow over my blurred vision. Lying my head back on the floor, I managed to roll over onto my side. My breathing was uneven as I took in large gulps of air. My vision was going to go out, but I struggled to remain awake. I can't black out now. Not when Joshua's life is on the line for someone like me.

Why would he go to all of these lengths for me? I get that we've known each other for as long as I can remember, but this is extreme. I let the faintest smile reach my lips as I thought about how Joshua genuinely seemed concerned through me. Though, he's an expert at masking his emotions nearly all of the time, there's always some kind of crack in the mask he wears. I grunted as I leaned over, and clutched my stomach. A sharp pain shot through it and I couldn't remember the last time I ate. I ate small pieces of food when Nikolai had forced me to, otherwise, I never touched it. I looked up and held back tears that were threatening to fall. Nikolai had a slice on his left shoulder that cut through his white coat that was now covered in dust and areas of fresh blood. He was holding his hand in pain as he clutched it to his chest, glaring at Joshua, who was standing across from him, smirking.