Chapter 16-Ode to Sleep (Part One)

This is the first part of Ode to Sleep.

Josh's P.O.V.

I lay in my room that night thinking about my boyfriend. I was concerned about him, I felt dread in my heart at the thought of what he’d had to endure throughout his life. I wanted to protect him so badly. I wanted to take him from that house and keep him with me where I could make him happy forever. I sighed to myself, there wasn’t anything I could do about it right now. There came a knock on my door. “Who is it,” I asked.

“Your favorite brother in the whole wide world.”

“Come in.”

“Hey little bro,” Jordan said walking into my room and coming to sit beside me on the bed. “So you and Tyler huh?”

“Yeah,” I said blushing at the thought of my brother catching us kissing earlier. “It’s kind of a new thing, but it’s pretty serious.”

“Yeah I uh could see that. So the whole gay thing. How long has that been?”

“To be honest I’d never even looked at a guy in that way before Tyler. It’s just him. I can’t say I’m not still attracted to women at all, but my heart’s definitely with him.”

“Well bisexuality is a thing that exists, maybe you’re bisexual or even just Tyler-sexual. Either way it doesn’t really matter, you’ve got to live your life being happy.”

“Yeah he does make me really happy. I don’t know about the whole sexuality thing, but I’m not too bothered by it.”

“There’s no need to be, sexuality is fluid man, just go with the flow. I’ll tell you a secret I’ve not ever told anyone except Hannah. I slept with a guy once freshman year of college. It was okay, he was a friend from the swim team but I realized it wasn’t really my thing and I moved on.”

“Woah you slept with a guy? Okay that’s kind of weird for me. Is Hannah alright with that?”

“Of course, I told her and she was fine with it. She’s pretty awesome. I think she’s the one, I want to propose after we graduate and get jobs and settle down a bit.”

“That’s awesome bro. Hannah’s a catch. I approve of her for a sister-in-law.”

“Haha thanks for the vote of approval little bro. Well if you ever wanna talk just give me a call. Sleep well baby bro.”

“You too,” I said as he got up and left my room. I lied back on the bed and tried to get some sleep, but it just wasn’t coming very easily that night. I was too preoccupied with thoughts of Tyler. Finally I fell into a fitful sleep.