Chapter 14

Josh's P.O.V.

“Calm down Ty, they’ll love you. I know they will, just wait and see.”

He just nodded and took a deep breath, I let go of his hand which I had been holding and opened the door and walked in. “Mom, dad, I’m here with Tyler,” I called out.

“Come on,” I said leading Tyler through the house to the kitchen where everyone was. We walked in the kitchen, Tyler just a step behind me and I saw that my mom was standing at the counter next to my brother’s girlfriend Hannah. My dad and my brother were across the room standing each with a drink in their hand.

They all stopped and looked at us as we walked in the room. “Everybody this is my friend Tyler.” Everybody gave him a small wave. My mom walked up and pulled him in for hug, because that’s just what she always did.

“It’s so nice to meet you Tyler, Josh has told us a bit about you. It nice to put a face to the name, and what a handsome boy you are. We’re so glad you’re joining us for dinner this evening.”

“Thank you for having me, Mrs. Dun,” Tyler replied, a little taken aback by my mother’s warm affection but a small smile played upon his lips.

“You’re very welcome dear, and call me Lorraine, Mrs. Dun makes me feel so old.”

My father came over and shook his hand, “Nice to meet you Tyler, I’m Derrick.” Next my brother came over and introduced himself as Jordan and his girlfriend Hannah. Tyler was quiet and a little shy which was to be expected, but my family was respectful and didn’t hound him with too many questions. We all stood around talking in the kitchen until my mom announced that dinner was almost ready. We all filed into the dining room and I grabbed Tyler’s arm and pulled him over to a chair right next to me. I squeezed his hand under mine and gave him a reassuring smile before everyone came piling into the room to take their seats.

His hand slid out of mine and I moved my hands onto my lap. My family gathered around the table and once everyone was situated my mother spoke up and asked my father to say grace. Everyone reached to hold hands for grace and I held out one hand to Tyler and grabbed it and in my other hand I held Hannah’s hand.

“Dear Lord thank you for this meal and the many blessings we’ve received this year. Thank you for keeping our family happy and healthy and may we be together again next year. Thank you for bringing us the new company of Tyler. Amen.”

“Amen,” We all repeated.

As we ate, my brother, father, and I started a rather loud conversation about soccer as per usual. I tried my best to pull Tyler into the conversation as the topic switched from soccer to embarrassing childhood anecdotes told by my parents, much to my chagrin. “So when Josh was either three or four, I can’t remember exactly. But anyway he was obsessed with wearing my high heels around the house with a long t shirt. He was adorable, click clacking around the house going on about how he looked just like mommie. It melted my heart.”

Tyler grinned the whole time my mom told the story and when she finished he burst out laughing I shook my head, heat flooding to my face in utter embarrassment. “Ugh mom that’s enough,” I said disdainfully.

“No mom, do tell us another,” my brother, Jordan said grinning at me with an evil smirk.

“Ah Jordan, I’m done embarrassing Josh in front of his friend, Tyler. Now it’s your turn,” she said with an evil smirk that matched the one that had been on his face just a moment before.”

“Hannah did I ever tell you about the time when Jordan was little and he was playing with a little girl from down the block and they had decided to play dress up. Well it was all normal enough until she came into the kitchen where I was, in princess dress and with a very concerned expression on her face, asked me why Jordan had a tail.”

The whole table erupted with laughter and I thought Tyler was just about crying he was laughing so hard. My brother covered his face with his hands and Hannah wrapped her arm around Jordan, grinning and whispered something in his ear that made his blush deepen even more. The rest of dinner passed with only slightly less antics until everyone had finished and dessert had been served. We all groaned as we stood from the table and wobbled into the living room and kitchen stomachs full from dinner and slightly sore from laughing so hard.

Tyler and I went into the living we sat next to each other on the couch, he sat at the very spot he’d sat the first time he came to my house and as always he sank into the cushion. We were all alone for a moment and I took advantage of it and leaned over to give Tyler a quick peck on the lips. “Josh your parents could walk.”

“S’okay babe, it’s fine. Are you having a good time? I told you my family would love you.”

“Yeah I am, this is the most fun I’ve had in a long time, I really feel part of the family.”

“Well you are. I love you and I know my family will in time as well. My mom’s already smitten.” “I love you Josh, thanks for being such an awesome boyfriend.”

I laughed at his thanks, “you're welcome babe.” I looked down at our legs which were touching and then down into Tyler’s eyes which radiated happiness and contentment. I smiled and leaned down to kiss him. The kiss started out innocent enough, but as usual we got a little carried away and we broke apart and nervously smiled and straightened out are shirts. We shared a little smirk.

“Is is safe now,” a voice called out from the room next door?

“What,” I said my head snapping to the direction of the voice.

“Is the teenage make out session over or do I need to shield my eyes,” my brother said poking his head in the doorway. I looked over at Tyler who had a look of fear on his face and then back at my older brother who gave us a reassuring smile. “Don’t worry dudes, it’s all cool, your homosexual secret is safe with me little bro. Welcome to the family Ty, don’t hurt my little brother or I’ll have to cut off your balls.” At this he turned and left the room with a smile and a wave leaving Tyler and I alone once again.