~Chapter nine~

"Addie." Her dad phoned her. "You couldn't sleep?" He asked.

She shook her head.

"You're worried about him?" He asked.

She nodded. She had filled him in. "How couldn't I be? He was kept in cells for 16years, how can making him go down and identify people be helping him?" She was distressed and sounded if she was going to cry.

"Please don't cry, you'll make your mother worry. We love you." Her father spoke over the phone.

Just then, the door opened, and Brody walked through the door with Rylan behind him. He turned on a few dim lights and looked straight at Adeline, who was still sniffling.

"I'll call you back later, dad. I love you." She hung up after a few words of goodbye and wiped her cheeks. "Are you okay?" She asked instantly.

He slipped off his shoes and walked over, "Why are you crying?" He asked softly but she shook her head walking away to the window.

Brody staying in the hallway.

"What's wrong?" He asked trying to figure it out.

"Are you okay?" She asked slightly facing him.

"Adeline, I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?" He asked.

"I'm sorry." She said trying to cover her eyes, but he reached forward and took her hands, giving them a squeeze.

He wasn't comfortable in the hug, but he didn't want her to be crying. With one deep breath, he wrapped her arms round his waist and pulled her into a hug. It was the first time he had hugged someone in a very long time. He felt funny, very uncomfortable but someone warm round her arms. He was okay. He was okay.

"Rylan, let go. I don't want to hurt you." She tried to pull back.

"Shhh I'm fine." He kissed her forehead lightly, he could manage that. He kissed his mother's cheek.

"Are you sure?" She was trying not to touch him.

"Yes." He told her and she hesitated for a second before slowly relaxing into his chest. "See, I'm fine."

They held their embrace for a few minutes in silence while they both calmed down, he found it quite relaxing being so close to her by the end of the hug, but his breath was rapid, and he struggled to stay calm. It was a strange feeling.

"Were you okay down there?" Adeline asked not looking up at him.

"Is this why you're crying?"

"Sort of." She admitted.

"What else is it?" He asked.

"It's just..." She paused, sniffling, and wiping her cheek. "You've been through so much and you deserve to be able to just be yourself and live your life. And now it's probably all making it worse for you." She mumbled and he smiled.

"You don't need to worry about me." He told her. "I'm perfectly capable of knowing my limits... Most of the time... Me going down to the cells today was just to help the investigators." He explained.

"Did you know them?" She asked, and she looked up at him.

He nodded silently, with a hurt expression.

"Did they hurt you?"

"Yes."

"Does this not freak you out?" She asked, confused.

"Yes, but I've gotten used to it all now. But this is the first time we've caught anyone in connection with it." He explained. "Apart from when I was found. I don't remember much Adeline, it's all a blur of pain and secrecy."