Chapter 3: Stay With Me (Hailey)

Start from the beginning

"I don't know." He answered a few moments later. "I didn't want to ditch you guys right before high school, I guess."

I stared at him for a few seconds trying to see if he was telling the truth. "Okay."

He opened his mouth to say something but shut it when Hannah's door opened, so we laid there in silence even long after Hannah's door closed.

*****

"Today we're going to be continuing with the demonstrations." Dad stood in front of us waving a stack of scripts.

"Is today's about how babies are made?" Mason whispered in my ear, and I had to bite my lip to keep myself from laughing.

"Mason and Hailey." Dad gestured for us to come up.

"Fuck." Mason mumbled as we went up.

"You two will be explain the bases." Dad handed us the scripts.

"I'm a basketball player, not a baseball player." Mason said quietly as we read through. "Where's Justin when you need him?"

"I don't know this." I frowned. "But whatever, ready?"

"Sure." Mason looked from his script and spoke to our class. "We aren't going to be demonstrating The Bases because Mr. Jacobs would kill me, so we'll be providing examples instead."

Hannah winked at me as I started reading my lines with a red face. "Many people refer to different levels of physical intimacy with the bases metaphor."

"First Base is kissing or making out." Mason glanced at Hannah. "Like what Hannah Jacobs and Justin Davidson do between class."

"What?" Dad asked as Hannah turned beat red and glared at Mason.

"And Second Base is the touching of the upper body." I smacked Mason's chest. "Like that, but in a sexual manner."

"Like you know what that means." One of the guys behind Hannah and Sophia shouted.

I saw Mason start to show the guy the finger out of the corner of my eye, but I shoved his fist down before anyone could notice.

"And Third Base is the touching of the lower body, like blow jobs and such." Mason glared at the guy who made the outburst earlier. "Something Johnny Carson only sees in pornos."

I jabbed him in the side and continued. "And a Home Run is sex, the reason why we are all alive."

"Lastly, Stolen Bases." Mason looked back at the script. "This is any form of sexual assault, mainly rape, which happens when entitled assholes think they can do whatever they want to women."

"And that's it." I took Mason's script and handed back to my Dad before dragging Mason back to our seats before he could do or say something stupid.

"There are many metaphors for different sexual activities." Dad continued on with the lesson.

"I'm going to kick your ass later, Banks." Hannah whispered.

"Can you even kick that high, Jacobs?" Mason leaned back and patted her knee.

I tugged on his shirt when Dad started to look our way. "She's done it before, Mase."

*****

"So we can easily cross two things off your list if one of my mom's listings has a pool." Mason said as he followed me around work.

"Isn't that illegal?" I asked him as I cleared a table. "Also, I'm working right now so no talking unless you're ordering."

"Fine." He slid into the booth and grabbed a menu.

"You're an idiot for thinking your mom would let us into one of her listings outside of an open house." I shook my head and carried the trash and dirty dishes to the kitchen.

"I could guilt her into it!" He yelled after me.

"What's your boyfriend talking about?" Ella asked me as she took my full tray from me.

"Nothing important." I answered before comprehending what she said. "He isn't my boyfriend."

"Oh." She looked surprised. "Does he have a girlfriend?"

"No." I shook my head and grabbed some silverware. "Why?"

"He's cute." She shrugged before going into the kitchen.

I stared after her in confusion before going back to Mason. "What'll you have?"

"Shit, you're back already." Mason pointed randomly at the menu while I set the silverware on the table. "I'll have that."

I looked over to see what he was pointing. "Honey, I would get fired for leaving work even if it was to take you to the hospital."

"Wha- oh." He nodded when he saw he had pointed at the Banana Bread special.

"Yeah." I tapped his silver medical bracelet. "Did you forget about your deadly allergy to bananas?"

"Shut up." He grumbled as he went over the menu.

"Mason, we're here like everyday." I sighed. "You know the menu."

"Shh." He held a finger up. "I usually just sit here and try to get your attention."

"Is that why you tried ordering banana bread?" I asked him. "Because I don't give you enough attention?"

"No, because you give me attention sometimes." Hannah slid in across from Mason.

"Hey, Han." Mason squinted at my sister.

"Don't worry, Mase." She reached over and rubbed his hand. "I won't kick your ass in public."

"Thank you, Mason has ready tried getting me fired." I glared at Mason.

"How?" Hannah took Mason's menu.

"Idiot forgot he's allergic to bananas." I tapped my pencil against my notepad. "So what are you ordering?"  

***AN***

What did you guys think of Mason's backstory?

Let us know what you thought!

~ChasingMadness24 and BriannaVore