8: Back to the Shack

Bill flicked his fingers and both him and Mabel appeared in front of the Mystery Shack.

"Now this is what you mean by 'home', right?" Bill smiled.

"Bill!" Mabel smiled big. "It's exactly what I meant!"

She hugged him but then hesitated. "But what about my parents? What about Dipper!?"

"Don't worry, I snapped a little letter for him. It's in his room." Bill put his arm around her.

"Bill, you think of everything." Mabel chuckled.

"You know I do!" Bill winked.

They walked up the stairs to the porch of the Shack, but when Mabel tried to open the door, it was locked.

"That's funny, the Shack is never locked unless it's nighttime." Mabel frowned.

"Maybe Stan wanted to keep his valuables locked away." Bill suggested.

"Maybe."

Bill wandered off to take a look around for any signs if Stan was home.

Mabel pounded her fist on the door. "Grunkle Stan! It's me, Mabel!"

"Mabel," Bill called her, "you have to see this!"

Mabel turned around to Bill, who was standing in front of some kind of billboard. She rushed over and looked at the sign.

Mystery Shack closing August 31

"What?" Mabel mumbled. "The Shack is closed!?"

She ran back to the door and pounded on it again. "Grunkle Stan!"

"Aw, enough of this." Bill walked up to the door and kicked it open.

"I should've known to do that." Mabel shrugged.

The couple stepped inside. No one was home as far as they knew.

"Grunkle Stan? Great Uncle Ford?" Mabel's voice echoed.

They looked around at the gift shop. Dust piled up in corners and on merchandise that was never sold. The room felt dark and empty.

"Wait here," Mabel stopped Bill, "I wanna check it out for myself. Is that alright?"

Bill smiled. "Of course it is. This was your home after all. I'll wait outside."

"Can you call Dipper too?" Mabel squeaked.

Bill nodded. "I will."

He stepped outside and Mabel continued to walk in empty rooms. "Hello?"

No one was found in the entire Shack.

"Why would Grunkle Stan and Ford leave without letting me or Dipper know?" Mabel pouted. "What happened?"

Something caught her eye. A person moving outside. It sure wasn't Bill, since he was in a different direction.

Mabel ran towards the figure. "Hello!?"

The figure noticed Mabel and ran into the forest.

"Mabel?!" Bill called, but Mabel ignored him.

She ran into the forest after the figure. "Hey!"

The figure tripped on a tree branch and whimpered in pain. "Ouch, ma ankle!"

Mabel ran closer to the figure and gasped.

Gideon looked up and Mabel and smiled. "Why, hello there."