surrender to the afterglow

From: http://archiveofourown.org/works/1092850

~~~~~~

i think i like the sound of harry tomlinson as much as harry himself... so good.

~~~~~~

Rating: Mature

Warnings/tags: president AU, bottom!harry, fluff, smut, alternate universe - college/university, alternate universe - politics

Word count: 11911

Summary: 

Harry's mother sets him up on a lot of awful dates. She finally gets it right with Louis Tomlinson, President of the Harvard Law Review.

(Law School AU meets Politician!Louis AU)

Author's note: let the record show that harry styles is not, in fact (much to everyone's surprise), michelle obama (in this universe) (yet)

(because literally this entire fic is inspired by daydreams of harry as michelle)

title from: vancouver sleep clinic's "vapour"

-

7:47 PM

It's Saturday night in September and Harry Styles has just stepped out of his apartment. He’s in his first year at law school and he’s making his way to a blind date that his mother has set him up on because, like, he's a grown man and that's what grown men do. It's the eighth one he's been on in six weeks and unsurprisingly, they've all been complete flops. The Harvard-attending sons of rich suburban families aren't exactly Harry's forte, but his mother is too determined to stop, especially now that Gemma’s engaged.

“This is the worst thing you’ve ever done, do you know that?” Harry spits into his phone as he crosses the street. “This is worse than when you gave Niall your blessing. Thisactuallytops you letting Niall marry Gems. Can you even understand the full measure of that statement?”

“Harold—”

“You’re mymother, you know that’s not my name.”

The sun has just set in Cambridge and there’s a cool breeze, too early for the cobblestone streets to be crowded just yet. Harry’s seriously hoping he can just get in and get out of this date early enough to get back to his apartment, work on his paper, and still have time to get wonderfully drunk watching reruns of America’s Next Top Model. There's a really hot guy in the competition this season that Harry loves jerking off to.

“Well, if you would stop complaining for two seconds, I could actually think straight,” Anne huffs, exhausted.

Harry pinches the bridge of his nose and continues walking down the sidewalk, cool autumn air making the ends of his navy blazer flap against his torso. He’s not too dressed up for this shoddy date, but his jeans are tight enough to at least make him feel pretty, like he’s worth more than just a blind date in an overzealous town.

“Look, H,” his mother finally says with a sigh. “I’ve known Jay and her family for almost five years now and they’re a great family, sweetheart, nothing like the rest of the families here. And Louis' a wonderful boy, I promise.”

Harry rolls his eyes. “That’s what you said about that asshole Nick, too,” he grumbles under his breath.

“Nick was an honest mistake, Harry.”

“He didn’t even go to Harvard! Mom, he went toYale,” Harry groans in disgust. The memory of that god-awful date the weekend before school had started makes Harry physically cringe.