“You’re quite energetic,” Aurora said, laughing quietly to herself.

Gabriella grinned sheepishly.

“People say that a lot.”

Aurora sighed and leaned back. All she wanted to do right was have a warm bubble bath. She quickly glanced at the clock. It was still far from eight. Aurora threw her legs over the side and got up.

“Are you going to use the bathroom? I want to take a bath.”

“Nope,” Gabriella replied easily and took the remote control from the table across them, flicking through the channels.

Aurora entered the bathroom and plugged in the stopper, turning on the tap. Humming softly to herself, she waited until there was a decent amount of water in the bathtub. She locked the door and unbuttoned the silver and black school uniform. The shirt dropped onto the floor with a dull thump, quickly followed by the school skirt. Aurora slowly walked forwards and rested her elbow onto the edge of the sink.

She stared into her own reflection in the mirror. Her eyes had long lost their original brightness, but they were nevertheless emerald, a color that she was born with. Her gaze lingered on her left iris, and she hesitated. Was she really being a pathetic? Even after all these years, was it possible that she still couldn’t accept herself?

The answer was yes. She was a coward, and she was afraid. She rested her elbow on the edge of the sink, and brought her hand to her face. Aurora parted her fingers so that she could see herself. Suddenly her reflection in the mirror changed.

Her smooth black hair twisted and curled. Her lips pulled back into a snarl, showing two sharp teeth that could rip anything apart. Her head titled slightly upwards, giving off a haughty expression. Her skin turned a shade paler than it is now. Her ears became more pointed. Her nails elongated.

Her eyes.

The two pools of swirling emerald flickered in their shades, and wisps of red replaced emerald. Like ink, the smoky crimson shade pervaded both her irises until her eyes had turned completely to red – the shade of blood.

Flashes of those blood-lust driven creatures filled her mind.

Aurora bit into her tongue to stop herself from screaming, the metallic taste on her tongue reminding her of the scent of death and blood all around her.

“No,” she gripped her hair.

Before she knew it, she was on the bathroom floor, rocking herself back and forth. She raised her quivering hand to her eyes. It was pale, but nothing as pallid as the color she saw in the mirror. Breathing heavily, Aurora reached out to the bath tub. There was a creak of the metal, and the warm water stopped flowing from the tap. Aurora slowly lowered herself, immersing herself in the warm water. Her muscles relaxed, and she tilted her head back. She closed her eyes, a small sigh escaping her lips.

“I really should have died in 1895.”

“You sure she’s not here?” Cade asked for the tenth time and hopped down from the window still.

The sun was setting, and a beautiful orange shade was cast upon the small island. The soft autumn breeze blew across the field and into the dorm through the small window.

“She’s taking a shower,” Gabriella answered. Her smile had disappeared from her face, and she was glancing out towards the setting sun with concern. The breeze had caused strands of golden hair to float around her face.

“I don’t sense anything inhumane about her. She doesn’t seem as dangerous as described. She’s nothing like what we thought she would be like.”

“She certainly doesn’t seem unstable to me either,” Gabriella answered with a puzzled look. “Be on the safe side, Cade; don’t let your guard down.”

“Sure.”

There was a click of a door opening, and Gabriella nodded at Cade. One second Cade was leaning against the wall, the next, he was gone.

“I’m done,” Aurora said, her raven black hair was stuck to her forehead as she walked out of the bathroom.

Gabriella frowned to herself. Was it just her? Aurora seemed like she had just seen a ghost in the bathroom. She reproached herself for being ridiculous and plastered on a large smile.

“I’m going to take a bath now. Do you mind watching the water? I’m boiling pastas,” she chirped.

“Got it,” Aurora said with no hesitance and walked past Gabriella. A gentle breeze blew in from the window, and she picked up a familiar scent. Her eyes dashed to the wall right next to the window, and they lingered there for an extra second before she looked away.