Chapter 2: Cake By The Ocean (Hannah)

Start from the beginning

"Uh-"

"Yes?" Dad tapped his foot impatiently.

"I sent her a picture of a cat." Hailey jumped in, "Sorry, could have waited, I guess." When Dad turned his back to us, I reached down and squeezed my sister's shoulder, thanking her with a nod.

"Hannah Jacobs and Matthew Acker, please join me." I stiffened, looking over at the guy sitting as far away from us as possible.

"Dad-"

"Hannah, now." I sighed, leaving my stuff beside Miranda and Sophia before finding my way down the bleachers and to my father and Matthew waiting for me at the bottom.

"Hannah and Matthew will be demonstrating a couple having difference in opinions. Matthew wants to take their relationship to the next level, but Hannah is against it." Dad shoved a script into our hands, nodding.

I could feel my cheeks warming even more as I read through the short script. When I looked back up, I found Matthew just as miserable as I was.

"You two may begin." I could see everyone on the bleachers either laughing or whispering, or a combination of the two.

I couldn't have been any more humiliated.

"It's been two months, Hannah. I thought you wanted this as much as I did." Matthew spoke, reading from the script. I swallowed, trying to ignore everyone's amused looks.

"Well, I don't." I whispered, groaning internally.

"Speak up, Hannah. We can't hear you!" Mason taunted from the bleachers. It took everything in my power not to flip him off.

"So that's how it's going to be? You're just going to sit here and lead me on for your own gain?" Matthew's eyes were apologetic when he looked back up. I felt my grip tightening on the script in my hands.

"I'm not leading you on, Matthew. I've decided that I don't want this, I don't want it to happen. Not yet." I responded, sending a quick look over my shoulder. Was that all I was doing with Justin? Leading him on?

"Not yet? That's a load of crap. I've waited and waited. You said you'd do it tonight." I shook my head, my eyes falling on my next lines.

"Just go home. I don't want to, okay? Leave!" Matthew brought the script down and met my eyes.

"I don't care. You can't do this. I won't let you." That was it. Then end of the script. Dad joined us again, taking the scripts from our hands.

"Before we get into the psychology among other things, what do you predict would have happened next?" Dad scanned the group of bored looking teenagers. Hailey raised her hand, being the first to answer as always.

"Yes, Hailey?"

"He would have either raped her or left, but I believe it would have been the former." My sister smiled weakly.

"Both of your answers are correct, but if the script were to be continued, it would depend on the person writing it." Dad turned back to Matthew and me in front of the chalkboard.

"As sad and hard as it may be for a lot of you to here, this is a common problem among teenagers and young adults. It's common for men to take an action the wrong way and believe it's some sort of sign. As you saw in this script, Hannah promised Matthew a night to remember and backed out. This resulted in a lot of the common sense in Matthew being pushed away and filled with another powerful array of emotions. Lust and anger. A dangerous mix." He went on, but my mind was drifting elsewhere. More specifically, to my boyfriend in class somewhere in the school.