5 - Overthinking

The peak proved higher than anticipated. Stars pricked the heavens high above, by the time that the three had reached a plateau. The sun had long since set, plunging the world below into a unseasonably cold January night. Cole's breath clouded before him as he wiped the cold sweat from his forehead with one hand. His knuckled were scraped and scuffed, blood trickling down his hands. One slip could send him tumbling many metres into the stone toothed jaws below. Grunting slightly with exhausted effort, he heaved his body up and onto a grassy flat, where he lay panting.

"Hey Dirtclod!" Jay quipped as he leant over the resting Earth ninja. Cole's green eyes immediately snapped open and he bolted upright, smacking Jay with his forehead. Jay reeled back in pain, wiping the trickle of blood that'd spurted from his nose. "H-How'd you get here?" Cole muttered, rubbing the Jay's-nose-sized dent in his forehead. Kai jabbed a thumb behind him. "Path"

The trio stood and looked around. Now atop the crest of the rocky outcrop, they could see to the furthest horizons. A large frosted moon was tiptoeing over the horizon, turning the sea below to liquid metal. Stars shimmered delicately, filling the night with flecks of light that danced along the breeze. The music of rustling heather and far away waves lapping at rocks was broken only by Kai's voice. "...You might want to come and get a look at this..."

Jay and Cole looked at the red clad ninja, and crept over, peering over the rocks to see what he'd found. Three pairs of eyes bobbed up above a patch of undergrowth, and one by one settled on what had caught Kai's attention.