Chapter 13

Sans immediately dropped the writhing human, the light returning to his eyes as he took a step away. Chara hisses slightly as they back away, still on the ground and rubbing their injured wrist.

Tears well in Toriel's eyes. "Sans..I thought you were over this."

"T..Tori, I can explain, I-" Sans starts to apologize, but Toriel shakes her head.

"No, Sans, you can't explain," Toriel slowly approached Chara. "Why would you attack Chara..? They've been through so much already..."

"I'm sorry, but.." Sans trailed off. He couldn't explain what happened or why he hated Chara. How could he..?

"No, Sans," Toriel repeats, picking Chara up in her arms and putting them down on the couch.

Sans sighs and scratches the back of his neck. "...I understand if you're upset.."

Toriel sighs. She ignores Sans and turns to Chara. "Are you alright..? You weren't hurt, were you?"

"Mmph..." Chara sighs, pulling their sleeve down slightly to reveal their burned wrist.

Toriel gasps, gently pulling their sleeve up more. She reveals the rest of the scars covering their arm in the process. Chara winces slightly as the fabric rubs against their skin.

"Oh my goodness.." Toriel gently places her hand on the wound. Chara relaxes a bit as Toriel begins healing it and the pain goes away. The burn wound is still visible, though.

Toriel sighs, carefully pulling Chara's sleeve back down. She stands up and turns to face Sans. She gestures for himto walk to the other room. He walks in like an inmate on death row. And, frankly, he kind of was.

Chara huffed, glancing at the burn on their wrist. Within seconds, muttered yelling can be heard from the other room. Sans was frantically apologizing over Toriel's upset tone. She scolds him for a full thirty seconds before Toriel can be heard crying.

I hope he feels awful, Chara thought. I hope he regrets what he just did.

-

Chara had just sat and sulked for about an hour. Toriel was sitting next to them and rubbing their back to give them comfort. Chara felt sick to their stomach. They had stopped being cross with Sans at least half an hour ago. They were just upset with themself now. They had provoked him, after all. The burn on their wrist still hurt like hell, but Toriel assured them it would feel better later. Her healing magic took time to completely take effect.

There's a sound of a door opening, then closing. Sans must have finally come out of his room.

Chara prays he was just making his way to the kitchen. They didn't want to see him right now.

Guess luck was just never in Chara's favor.

Sans makes his way next to the couch.  He looks at Toriel. Something was clearly off with him. His demeanor seemed even more happy-go-lucky and strange than usual.

He was drunk.

"H....Hey Tori.." He starts, clearly straining to sound sober. "Can I speak with the kid..for a little..??"

Toriel narrows her eyes slightly, but nods. She kisses Chara's cheek before standing up and walking to the other room.

Sans flops down on the couch next to Chara. His breath smelled heavily of alcohol, which made memories burn in the back of Chara's mind. They didn't want him around. In fact, Sans knew they didn't want him around.

"..You're drunk," Chara shakes their head and scoots are far to the end of the couch as they can. "You know I hate talking to you when you're drunk..."

"I..am not-" Sans was interrupted by a hiccup. "I'm not drunk...Just..Mmm..tired.."

His words slurred together, to where his speech was barely comprehensible.

"Uh-huh," Chara shakes their head and stands up. "No way in hell am I sticking around."

They began to walk away, but Sans grabs the back of their shirt. "W..Wait..!" He hiccups again. "I'm not..I'm not done.."

Chara pulls away, of which they were easily able to. "I don't care! Leave me alone!"

Sans stands up and shakes his head drowsily. "No..! N...No..I...Kid..I'm-" Sans hiccups yet again, falling back into the couch. "I'm s..sorry..."

Chara narrows their eyes at him. "...No you aren't. I'm sure you're happy you found a loophole to attack me. I mess up once and you think I'm going right back to my old ways!"

"Hey!" Sans points to them, then immediately drops his hand. Alcohol made him weak physically as well. In fact, his body could barely take alcohol, at least not real, human alcohol. Monsters hadn't had very hard or intense liquor, since they only had access to so much.

"I'm not h..happy about it.." Sans continued. "..I...I just thought you...ddeeserrved it.." Sans's speech slurred further. Chara groans.

"Deserved it?" Chara sneers in disgust. "All I said was one comment. You're a grown man! Shouldn't you know better??"

"One comment that revealed w..what you truly want..!" Sans exclaimed. He was acting so stupid.

"Are you kidding??" Chara scoffs, taking a few steps back so they could clear their head from the scent of alcohol. "It was an accident! I only said It because I was upset!"

"Oh...f-fucking hell!" Sans spits, angry now.

Chara was about to respond before the sound of a door clicking interrupts. Their eyes immediately dart to the door, where Frisk and Asriel walk in. They had completely forgotten they would be home from school now.

"...C..Chara..?" Asriel asks weakly. He smiles at them. Chara's eyes widen.

Both Frisk and Asriel were covered in cuts and bruises.