Chapter One

Light streamed into their room as the door opened. Frisk closes their eyes, pretending to be asleep, despite having been awake for about half an hour now. They pretend to groan as Sans shakes them awake.

"C'mon, kiddo...you start school today." He says as he turns on their light. Frisk yawns and sits up.

"Okay.." Frisk says, stretching.

Sans nods and walks out, closing the bedroom door. Frisk sighs and stands up. They open their drawer.  They pull out their normal pink-striped sweater and a pair of overalls. They pull on their sweater and some leggings, then the overalls. They walk out their door and downstairs.

Chara was sitting at the table, their head in their hand. Sans sits across from them. He snorts and shoves their arm down.

"Elbows off the table, kid." He snickers. Chara rolls their eyes and puts their head back in their hand. Sans chuckles. Frisk smiles and sits next to Chara.

"Morning, Grumpy," Frisk says, looking at Chara. "Did you sleep well?"

"No," Chara answers almost immediately. "I barely slept, in fact."

"Oookkkayy then.." Frisk says, standing up. They start to make themselves cereal. Asriel walks downstairs, sitting on the other side of Chara and yawning.

"Morning, Azzy," Chara perks up a bit.

"Morning, Chara.."

Chara sighs and leans more into their hand.

-
The school bus finally pulls up. Chara sighs. Frisk walks on first. Chara follows, taking Asriel's hand. Chara tries to ignore the stares at Asriel and whispering. Chara and Asriel quickly take the seat in front of Frisk. Asriel puts in his headphones, turns up the volume, and looks out the window. Chara sighs. They can't help but pick up a conversation around them.

"Those freaks should've stayed underground."

"Yeah, they belong there."

Chara growls. They turn their head to face the kids(who just so happens to be in the seat across from them).

"Do we have a problem?" They snarl, glaring.

"None of your business, weirdo," One of them answers.

"Oh, but it is." Chara's glare worsens. "I've lived with monsters for a very long time. You don't know anything about the hell they were put through."

He laughs loudly. "Oh, please. Why else would monsters be sealed down there if they didn't belong there?"

"Because you humans can't handle change." Chara hisses. "The war only started because humans were afraid of what might happen. That's all you are. A bunch of cowards."

"What was that, pipsqueak?!" The other kid pipes up. "You have quite the nerve."

"Is that so?" Chara grins. "Well-"

Chara is interrupted when Asriel grabs their shoulder.

"Chara!"

They jump and turn around. "Huh?! Oh...uh...sorry.."

They give the kids one last glare before turning forward again. Asriel sighs.

"It's only the first day, Chara..." Asriel sighs. "Please don't make yourself known by being the kid who hurt someone on the first day.."

"Sorry," Chara apologises. "I just can't stand them...they think they can say anything they want, with no consequences."

"I know, it bothers me, too, but violence doesn't solve everything. "

"I know..." Chara leans back. They hate that they had disappointed Asriel. They'd done enough of that.

The bus stops at the front of the school. Chara, Asriel, and Frisk get off after the giant wave of children gets out.

Chara feels nervous as soon as they step into the school. Even though it was absolutely nothing like their first school, they already had bad memories from the surface. Frisk notices and grips their hand reassuringly. Chara lets go when they notice people staring.

Frisk's first class was obnoxiously loud when they walk in. They take an empty seat in the back.

"Hey, you!" Someone calls to them.

Frisk looks to the girl next to them. "..Yeah..?"

"I, uh, saw 'ya with that,goat monster..thing.." She starts. "..Why do you talk with monsters?"

She didn't even seem like a rude person. Just..curious. Curious and ignorant.

"Uh...because we're friends?" Frisk raises an eyebrow.

"Oh..." She pauses. "Just...be careful. Some kids are purposefully attacking monsters and people who hang out with 'em. I think it's stupid. But...I'm kinda afraid to say anything."

"..Oh.." Frisk is shocked. "..Uh..thanks for telling me..?"

-
Chara's first class is just as loud. They jump as someone taps their shoulder. They whip around to face them.

"What?"

"Hey, freak," He asks, smirking. Chara already didn't like where this was going. "You like monsters, huh?"

Chara narrows their eyes. "You have a problem with that?"

"In fact, I do," He leans a bit closer. "Those weirdos don't belong up here. You're a moron for-"

"No, you're just an ignorant coward." Chara cuts in. "Living underground was hell. And all of monsterkind has more kindness in a single finger than in your whole body. So shut up, and mind your own. Damn. Business."

He seems shocked for just a moment before smirking. "How cute. The baby's getting defensive." He suddenly grabs Chara by the collar and pulls them forward. "Listen here and listen good. I'm only warning you once. Say something stupid like that again, and your life'll be a living hell. Got it?"

"Hah. I'm not afraid of you. I've been through worse pain than you can imagine." Chara sneers.

"Sure." He drops them. Chara turns back in their seat, growling. They barely register the teacher walking in.