Part 1

Reaping day was easily the most terrifying day of the year here in District 12 also known as the mining District. Reaping day was when two tributes, one girl and one boy, in between the ages 12 to 18 and we're then forced into the Hunger games. The Hunger games were a barbaric spectacle of human nature. 24 tributes would be thrown into an arena and only one came out alive. The thing that made this year's Hunger games even more scary than all the rest was that this was the 50th anniversary of the games. The Capitol was going all out this year and would force 48 tributes into the arena this year in celebration.

The people in the Capital held these games every year to remind us that they were above us They had all the money, all the resources, and were the Kings and Queens while we were dirt. The only reason they kept our District around was for the production of coal. Just about every man above 18 years old had to work in the mines.

I currently, was also working. Even if it was the day of the Reaping I still woke up early to go check my snares. The odds of my being Reaped were very low. There were almost 350 girls who were eligible for getting reaped and my name was only in 13 times for extra wheat and oil. My younger twin sisters were still only 10 years old so they were yet to face the horror of the Reaping Day.

However, my best friend Rency, who was basically a sister to me had gone through the fear. She was the same age as I was and was my best friend. We hunted together all of the time. Her preferred hunting weapon was a bow and arrow. I could shoot with a bow but I would never be as good as her. She had that talent you know?

Normally, I would meet her out here in the woods after school or early on the weekends. But seeing as it was Reaping day, she was most likely at home trying to prepare her younger brother for his first ever Reaping. He had just turned Twelve about a month ago. I would meet her at her home later so we could go to the Reaping together.

I gathered the three rabbits I had the luck of catching before then left the Forest through a small hole in the fence to go back to my home. I set the rabbits out side for my father and entered the small and quaint, familiar home. My mother, Sarah, was in the kitchen preparing a breakfast of oats and two oranges. One of them was slightly bruised. My sisters Blossom and Rain sat at the table braiding each others dirty blonde hair. My father must have been in his room.

" Good morning Ferris, did you sleep well?" My mother asked with a small smile, her green eyes glancing at me. She was obviously trying to keep calm gut I could sense the evident worry in her words. I smiled softly " Sort of" I answered. Honestly, I had slept terribly the night before. My mind was anxious about the Reaping even if I knew my chances of being called were close to none. It was strange, in districts like 1,2, and 4 being a tribute was an honor since they typically won. But in the lower districts like 10,11, and 12 it was like a death sentence. Heck, there hasn't even ever been a district 12 winner yet in fifty years!

" Catch anything good?" My mother asked while cutting the oranges into slices. " Just 3 rabbits, after the reaping I will re check the snares" I replied taking one of the orange slices and chewed thoughtfully, savoring the sweet citrus flavor. Oranges were expensive, my mother only bought them on important days.

" Girls, breakfast is ready" My mom announced pouring the modest oatmeal into separate bowls and adding a tablespoon of honey to each for flavor. I thank her and sat down at the small wooden table. " Ferry? Do you like my hair" My little sister Blossom asked showing me a long messy dirty blonde french braid. " Oh yes it's very good" I said with a smile while eating the warm oatmeal.

After Breakfast I left to my room to get dressed for the Reaping. We were supposed to dress formally but the nicest outfit I had was a short blue denim dress that fit my body pretty well. Along with a small necklace with a black stone at its center. I brushed my tangled dirty blonde hair and managed to get it to settle gently over my shoulders. My face was of course make up free, we never had the money for makeup. Not very many people in District 12 could.

I bid my family Farwell so I could meet up with Rency. My family would go together to the Reaping, I would have to split up with them anyways once we got to the square.