Forgiveness

Richard and Anna both turned to look at us, the couple evidently happy but the winged girls expressions containing wariness as she eyed me. I was slightly disheartened by this but Richard spoke to me and Jacob before I could give my input "So, you 2 did this?" He asked. 

"It was all Lizzies idea" Replied Jacob "I just helped her set parts of it up. Oh, and she is the one who tackled you near the end, just thought you should know that" He turned as he said this, finding humor in my scowl. The vampire took a few steps towards me in good fun and started "You little shi..." but was interrupted by his girl friends complaints that Danny and Max were present, at which I found his immediate obedience surprising. I knew that this was my chance to show Anna that I was still her friend and that I had done this to help her, so I explained how I knew that she had wanted to kiss Richard and about her reward for winning the race, then added "Its what any good friend would do" for effect. A warm smile touched her lips and the wariness faded, however staying present, and she did something that I had honesty not expected. She briskly walked forward and threw her arms around my neck in an embrace, one that solidified our refound friendship, I put my arms around her to and we hugged out the terrible past events that had torn us apart.

As she pulled away, she whispered "Thank you". We were both silent for a time until she invited me to the tree house for something to eat, making sure to mention raw meat, which I gladly accepted. All of us chatted lightheartedly and only ceased our laughing when it came to climbing the wonky ladder up to the platform. Once we were all up an array of typical party foods such as chicken nuggets, chicken wings, big and mini pizzas and chips were set out on the table with a separate plate of red meat, still dripping tiny amounts of blood, for me. Plates and soda were immediately gathered and everyone tucked into the meal, apparently both Richard and Jacob need human blood or flesh to survive but eating normal food doesn't harm them, plus it tastes far better than people. For hours we all kept on eating and joking and just having lots of fun, I was so elated that me and Anna were friends again! 'God, this couldn't have gone better' I kept repeating to myself as I listened to Anna tell a story about the first time she had tried to fly, it hadn't gone very well.

"So I was at my home when the wings first appeared, in my bedroom actually, and I didn't exactly go to my parents straight away. The first thing I did was lock my bedroom door and go to the mirror by my bed, twisting myself and tentatively moving my new wings about, I remember thinking how remarkable they were and how natural moving them around felt. Then I got onto flapping them and making myself rise slightly off the ground, at one point I got too adventurous, pushed my wings down hard and flew head first into the ceiling."She paused  to drink a bit of her soda and carried on. "After about half an hour of just hovering, I decided to turn it up a notch and made my way to the huge garden, luckily my parents had left the house whilst I was in my room. In the open space I practiced beating my wings harder and harder until I was hovering, but with a limited amount of control, about 2 meters off the ground. From there I kept on getting higher and higher until I was level with the 2nd story windows of my house! Then I tried to soar about, opening my wings and moving into a position where my stomach faced the ground, however that ended very differently to how I would have liked it to. I lost control just as a large gale hit me, it was more like a wave and I fought to get safely to the ground, instead I was being swept higher and dangerously close to the house and trees. The roof was approaching fast, a chimney poised to smash into me in a matter of seconds! I panicked initially and then made a great effort to pull my wings against my back so that there was no longer anything pushing me towards the roof. But also, there was nothing holding me in the air. I fell, conveniently, onto a hay stack as we lived on a farm and quickly trudged back into the house feeling both miserable and exhilarated. That is the moment when I saw Max with his wings..."

For a good 30 minutes she carried on the story up to the point when her and Max were staying in the woods, although I did notice that parts didn't go together properly and it looked as if she was purposefully leaving things out. I thought it best not to question her on it seeing as it was her story. When 6 O'Clock came I hugged everyone there, even Richard, and gave a happy goodbye. When I arrived home a wonderful smell reached me noise, 'Damn that smells good!' I walked to the kitchen and found my mum was making ribs and chips, although I had already eaten so much my stomach craved more and I gladly accepted dinner.