Matt and Zola (4)

Tomorrow was the party. Matt had to bring in the decorations tonight. A last minute "Idea!" from Opel said they had to wear costumes now too. Zola helped make Matt's. He'd never seen her smile so much. The way her eyes lit up...Matt had forgotten what they were doing.

He smiled and walked onto the silent campus. Weird. The room they held the TFN brigade in still had a light on.

A shuffle and crash made him jump.

He grimaced. "Hi, Mae."

"Just finishing up, huh?"

Did she look different? "Yeah."

"Walk me home?" Her eyes didn't light up like normal. What was she up to?

Matt tried not to roll his eyes. He didn't want to say no and be impolite. "Sure."

He set the bag on a table and held the door for Mae.

The street lights gave everything a yellow glow. This was Matt's favorite time. Quiet houses. Empty streets. He only wished it was Zola beside him and not Mae.

"Matt?"

That quiet voice made his stomach flutter.

He snapped around, but Mae blocked his view. Her smile had changed. It was...cynical? He shook his head. "Zola, where are you?"

"Look out!" Zola yelled.

Something plunged into his arm. Matt stumbled back, in too much pain to make a sound. It burned. Hot blood soaked his jacket sleeve.

Someone pushed up close to his back. "I could never let you hurt Mae," they said in his ear.

They pulled the knife out. Matt slapped his hand to the wound and stepped back to see...Komie?

Komie snapped the knife, splattering the road with Matt's blood. "And now, you'll never be able to." Mae grabbed on to Matt, holding him with surprising strength. Komie stepped closer. Knife aimed at his abdomen.

Matt gritted his teeth and closed his eyes.

He heard someone running. Felt something press in front of him. He opened his eyes in time to see the knife drive into Zola's stomach.

She gasped and fell limp.

Matt heard a struggle and yelling and something clattering to the street, but he couldn't take his eyes off her. He dropped to her side, taking off his jacket to press to her wound. So much blood. Her chest rose and fell at unnatural intervals.

"Matt..."

He put his cleaner hand under her neck. "You're going to be fine, Zola." She had to be.

The tiniest smile sneaked across her face. "Zola...is a nickname my...brother gave me."

Matt's jaw began to quiver. "You can't die. You just saved my life. I-I need to thank you somehow."

"I...need to thank you too." She bit her lip and slowly put her hand to his cheek. She mouthed the words, her eyes closing.

Her hand fell and one last breath sneaked out.

Matt stared at her face. A tear dripped off his chin, landing on her nose. He wiped it away. Leaning forward, he let his head rest on hers.

"I didn't even know your name."