22- Sidekick starter pack

Start from the beginning

"Really?" He asked, lacing his hands behind his head, turning to give me a flat look.

I dismissed him with a satisfying laugh and looked up to the vast blue sky, following the motion of the drifting fluffy cloud. Cryonics let out a sigh, lacing his hands behind his head and fixed his gaze to the sky. I was out of breath but he was still perfectly fine. "Where do you think this cloud will end up at?" He asked out of the blue, pointing at the emerging small cloud passing by above, casting its shadow upon us. 

I turned to look at him. His eyebrows were slightly knitted and his lips were parted a little.

"Probably quite far from here. They move faster than you think." I said, pulling 3 strands of long grass from the ground, holding it above my head.

"It looks like a snowman." He said in all seriousness causing me to scoff.

"A mutilated snowman, yes." I mused, braiding the fresh green stems in a simple braid. "Spilling its gut across the sky. See the intestine over there? And the liver."

"You shouldn't be entrusted to babysit children." He frowned at me.

"Says a dude behind a mask who broke into the bank." I smiled dryly back.

"Well, I'm a good listener. Kids love that." Cryonics grinned. "Also, I'm a professional when it comes to telling if someone is upset. Just so I can piss them off even more."

Yes, he is an expert in ticking people off. Always knowing which button to push.

"I'm sure you're the valedictorian of that class. However, it's easy to tell. If one's heart is still beating, he or she is upset. Only dead people have nothing to be upset about." I noted, stretching my arms. 

"That means you're upset about something at the moment." He said. "That's what I thought since you stormed up here. What's happened?"

"Why would I discuss my problems with the coldest person in the city?" I joked. That's what I do all the time. Being evasive by cracking irrelevant jokes when it comes down to the topic I hate to talk about. 

"Coldness numbs pain." Cryonics shrugged. "That's why they put ice on fresh wound."

That's quite accurate. Ice-cream could numb my pain any day. Feeling sad? Wolf down a few pints of Ben&Jerry's Cookie Dough ice-cream while binge watching your favorite series. That sure was what happened yesterday evening after I got back from Mistwood.

Or maybe it was just the sugar.

"Touché." I whispered. "But that only includes external physical wound. You don't put ice on your brain."

Ice on brain would equal an extreme brainfreeze.

I found it a little weird that people gives credit to heart when it comes to the L word. I do appreciate that heart keeps my veins, arteries, and capillaries full of blood all the time but it doesn't really have anything to do with controlling feelings. It just beats faster when you get flustered, angry, or nervous. Brain allows us to feel all that.

"Well, it's just a quick fix anyway. Ice don't heal bruises but it makes you feel less pained temporarily." Cryonics waved his hands in the air, making some snowflakes rained down on me. "That's what I'm here for. What's wrong, kid?"

I swallowed hard, feeling my hands on cold lump of snow accumulating on the grass. "It's Les. They guy you asked me to spy on, remember? Turned out he stopped talking to me because he was diagnosed with Leukemia 4 years ago and he's dying." I was pretty surprised how monotonous my voice was.