"And she's been dying to meet me?" Corrie asked.

"Yes, ever since she heard that you're getting a college degree. She's quite the suffragist and you're practically her idol."

Corrie laughed. "I'm no suffragist, I just want to be a writer. But I'm glad you've made a friend."

Her sister smiled softly. "The days aren't quite so long with her around, and she keeps me from thinking about David."

"You should get some sleep, Chris," Corrie murmured, "I'm not going anywhere."

"I'm just so happy you're here," Christina whispered as she laid her head back on the pillow, eyes slowly closing.

Corrie remained beside her, stroking her hair to lull her to sleep. Her concerns about Edwin and her education had evaporated as soon as she had seen Christina. Her little sister desperately needed her; she had made the right choice.

When they were younger, Corrie and Christina had been nearly inseparable. Despite their four year age disparity, Christina had always clung to Corrie, and Corrie protected her vigilantly ever since Christina had been injured under her supervision at the age of four. Corrie had decided to climb a tree in their expansive backyard. With her lanky limbs and lean figure, she had no trouble pulling herself from branch to branch until she was tall enough that she could see all the way to the bay. Christina, though four years her junior, had an impetuous streak and decided that she too needed to climb the tree. While Corrie was lost watching the waves lap on the beach, Christina had managed to wrangle her tiny body onto the first few limbs.

She had yelled, "Corrie, look at me!" which caused her to lose her balance and fall to the ground.

Corrie could still remember the panic that had overtaken her as she watched her sister's body tumble to the ground into a lifeless heap. She had climbed from the tree and raced to her sister's side. In the fall, Christina had sustained a fractured ankle and it took her weeks of bedrest to finally recover. Christina's fall from the tree when David left was disturbingly parallel to that childhood incident.

Ever since that day, Corrie had felt responsible for her younger sister. When she'd left for school nearly three years ago, David, a young man from Irvington with whom they'd attended school, had begun a friendship with Christina that gave Corrie the assurance she needed that Christina would be safe without her.

With David gone, Christina needed her sister again, and Corrie promised herself she wouldn't leave until Christina recovered.

~~~~~

When Christina was fast asleep, Corrie tiptoed out of the room and waved goodbye to Hannah, the doctor's sister. Outside, dusk had fallen on the small town, and exhaustion weighed heavily on Corrie until she felt as if she were dragging herself down the street. The cobblestone road was lit by a handful of streetlights and the glimmer of the silver moon. Corrie slowed and glanced up at the sky and let herself get lost in the stars. In New York City, the stars seemed like a distant memory; the sky was hidden by glowing electric lights. Here, Corrie could see the night sky empty of all but the moon and the constellations.

Her eyes traced Orion's belt all the way up to Ursa Major. She remembered how Aunt Jack had taught her and Christina all of the names for the constellations when they were younger. For so long she'd thought of Irvington as a place that belonged in the distant past, but there were so many pieces of her little hometown that she hadn't realized she missed until now.

"The stars are really beautiful this time of night."

The low, gentle voice startled her from her reverie. Spinning around, she beheld a tall young man in a plain waistcoat standing a few yards away. He was examining the stars as closely as she, his features lit by the glow of the moon.

Corrie felt herself blush. "Yes, yes, they are."

"I'm so sorry if I startled you. I was just admiring the stars myself. There's nothing like the a clear night sky," the young man said, turning his gaze from the sky to her.

Corrie smiled at the sentiments that were so parallel to her own and felt her uneasiness wash away.

"That's true," she said wistfully, "I always miss the stars when I'm away."

"Well, then I'm sure you're glad to be back," the young man answered. He offered a broad smile and doffed his straw boater hat. "Welcome home, Miss."

He smiled at her once, and Corrie barely caught the glimmer of his blue eyes before he wandered away, whistling softly under his breath.   

~~~~~

I hope you're enjoying this story! I've been blown away by the kind comments and feedbacks from those of you who have responded to the novel and I hope you continue to enjoy it! 

Thanks for reading, voting, and commenting.

~ Hannah