Twenty-Two || Two Katsurous

Start from the beginning

"And you're really an idiot," I talked back matter-of-factly. "Who told you to play in a way where the snowballs would hit the doors? Even I would have been smarter to think first."

I shook my head.

Heisuke scowled, turning to me. He pointed an accusing finger at me. "Hey, aren't you suppose to be cheering me up? Hello? Depressed soul here?"

"Depressed, my ass." I snorted, but then sighed. Now he'd made it feel a bit guilty. I patted his shoulder. "Fine, fine. I'll help you patch up the shoji doors."

His face immediately lit up. "Really?"

"You better not plan to push it all on me just because I'm a girl," I warned him. "I've been picking up some swordsmanship from Saito-san lately, and I just might use it on you."

Heisuke laughed, but at the dead serious look on my face, he gulped. "Right."

Ha! I was a really good actor. I let out a delighted laugh and clapped my hands together, grinning. "You really thought I'd gut you, Heisuke-kun?"

"Wait, what? I mean, no! I was just--!"

"Right, right. Anyways, try not to get into as much trouble now. This favor is only happening once," I warned him as I stood up. Stretching out my arms, I sneezed and rubbed my nose.

"Hey, you better not catch a cold," Heisuke reminded me, standing up. He placed either of his hands on my upper arms as his brows knitted together. "Everyone would be really worried if you caught a fever."

I smiled. Heisuke was really adorable. There was concern and warmth in those teal eyes of his as I looked into them. Nodding, I gave him assurance that I'd take care of myself.

"Thank you though," I said, beaming. "What you said made me really happy."

***

"Oomf!"

My face planted itself into something hard, solid and soft. I stumbled back and rubbed my nose. Wonderful. Third time today that I'd ended up with my face plastered to someone's chest.

"Sorry, sorry--" I began, the words coming out of my mouth automatically. I peered up to see a flustered-looking guy. He appeared to be pretty young, maybe a few years older than me, and he donned a simple outfit of a plain, navy-blue hakamashita and gray hakama. He didn't have a chonmage, and his dark hair was unruly and his brown eyes were wide open as he looked down at me.

"It's quite alright," he said absentmindedly before stepping past me and going down the hall in the direction I came in. As he walked, I heard some mumbles coming from him. I was able to distinguish some of his words. I turned, staring at him as he rubbed the back of his head in a seemingly distressed motion.

"Crap, I'm late. I'm late. My first day and I'm late. The headquarters is so big..."

Could he be lost? I crept up behind him and tapped his shoulder. He twisted his head back with a questioning look on his face.

"Hi, um...do you need some help going somewhere?" I asked politely.

"Huh? Oh--yes! Yes, I do. I'm trying to find the training grounds for the eighth division," he told me rushedly. His eyes were wide and he looked absolutely desperate. "I'm new here, so I haven't been quite use to the Shinsengumi headquarters yet."

So he was a new recruit to Heisuke's squad then. I nodded. Might as well help this guy out since he was a newbie. I smiled warmly up at him.

"I see...alright, follow me. I'll lead you to Heis--I mean, the eighth division training grounds," I quickly corrected myself, then turned and began walking down the hall.