The Dream

My name is Brendan Green and I attend Ferris Middle School.

I always have a dream, one simple little dream, that I could walk again. But it was very unlikely. I was badly injured in the accident, and my father can't afford the surgery for me. Now, I sit in a wheelchair wherever I go. Life is hard for me now. Losing my leg wasn't the only thing I lost during the accident; I lost my mother too.

Every day when I go to school, my friend Emily always pushes me in the wheelchair. She's always there for me by my side. She sits out during gym class willing to drop her marks just to make me feel not left out. At lunch, Emily would leave her friends and come sit with me and doesn't care what others think. I am grateful to have a friend like her.

But not everyone is as nice as Emily. People treat me differently now. They think that I'm too weak to do anything. I used to be a quarterback on my school's football team. But now, all I do is watch.

I was sitting in my wheelchair counting the blisters on my hands from rolling the wheels and I saw a huge group of students on the other side of the hallway huddling. I decided to go see what's going on. When I got closer to them, They all stopped what they were doing and looked at me. Then they all walked away. I glanced down and felt ashamed. As I quickly looked up at the voice of Emily, I saw her walking with that group. Now, I feel like I was stabbed in the heart.

I was sitting in class when surprisingly they started calling classes down. I always take the elevator with Emily, but she didn't come with me today. I entered the gym. Usually, it's noisy and everyone's talking. But today, everyone was suddenly quiet.

As the principal finished talking, he called up the group I saw earlier, Including Emily. "We know you've been struggling through the past few years, we think you need a break." She said loud and clear. "So we decided to help you out." I was going to tear up because I knew she wouldn't let me down." Our school has been collecting money for over 4 months now. We present to you this cheque of $10,000!" She said happily. I wish I could run up to her and hug her but instead, she came up to me. But now, I was crying. The whole group that was on stage came and gave me a group hug too. 

I never felt so loved in so long.

As weeks passed by, I finally was able to do the surgery thanks to my school and Emily. It took me awhile to get used to my new artificial legs. But I had an amazing friend right beside me to pick me up when I fall, literally. Time passed by and I was on the football team again. I fit in with everybody now.

As I entered high school. I started having feelings for Emily. She was a beautiful girl with a wonderful personality and the reason I could walk again. I never really told her what I thought about her because I was too scared if she didn't have the same feelings about me. I kept quiet for a very long time, holding my thoughts about Emily until I couldn't anymore. I asked her out to see a movie with me. She agreed.

As we were sitting in the movie theatre, she kept on saying how beautiful the actress was in the movie. I simply told her that she was prettier than the night sky. Then she asked if I liked her. I stopped for a moment and thought, it was finally my chance to tell her what I really felt. I finally said, "No, I love you." That made her stop what she was doing and look at me. There was a long pause between us. I had a chance to make a move but I missed it, she looked away.

The rest of the movie was silent. I drove her back home. The ride was also quiet. I parked the car across from her house. Before she opened the door, she turned around and hugged me. I felt like I had butterflies in my stomach. Then she let go and looked at me. Then I heard a whisper, "thanks for everything."

3 years pass by, Emily and I have been in a strong relationship. We've never been this close together before. All I need to know is that I love her and she loves me back.

As the prom day came closer, I couldn't wait. I can imagine myself with Emily on the dance floor. Just the two of us, by ourselves. I wonder if she's thinking the same thing as I am. I don't know.

Prom is finally here. I was waiting for Emily at the entrance to the gym. There was a huge group of girls entering the dance as I spotted Emily with them. She looked more beautiful than ever. She was wearing a dazzling blue dress matching with my bow tie with her hair all done and perfect makeup. She looked amazing.

I went up to her. Together hand in hand, we entered the dance. Everyone was seated at a table together. Emily and I went to the table where all our friends were and took a seat there. There was music. Mostly, all the people went up and danced, including us.

When they finally turned on the slow music, we danced with all our hearts. I was enjoying every minute of it and so was Emily. It felt like I was in the right place at the right time. I got so many flashbacks from when we're little.

If the school, if Emily didn't help me, I wouldn't be here right now. I would've been in a corner of the dance on my wheelchair staring at people. But thank God, I'm not.

After the party, I drove Emily back to her house as usual. I just had the best time of my life with the girl I love. She turned around like always to thank me. But this time I was going to make a move. I went in and kissed her. I felt the warmth of her lips on mine. It made my night even better. We held the kiss for a few seconds, then I backed away. She hugged me and got out of the car. I was thinking about her all the way back home. I was thinking how lucky I was to have a girl like Emily to have under my arms. 

Flashbacks role in my head. Then the thought hit me. We have been best of friends since day one. What a coincident that we are together till now.

Seven years pass by... 

Emily and I are still together. I watched her as she walks on the red carpet coming towards me. All our families here today to celebrate this honourable day. As she came closer, I reach out to hold her hand. We stand on the altar admiring each other. Just staring at her eyes made me forget all my worries. I wonder how the feeling being together forever would feel like. I finally came back to reality just in time to hear her say "I do."     

________
Hope you enjoyed this short story I wrote about 3 years ago. If you like it, please check out my other book, "Didn't Expect"

Oh and don't forget to comment and vote!!

(Unedited)